Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix + JBL 305 - Any tips ?


Tjm666
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, i just got my helix and JBL monitors but i'm a complete noob when it comes to EQ'ing stuff, i know that there are lots of people using this combo so i was wondering if you could share some tips on how to get great tones when creating presets for this.

 

I'll be using the monitors during the day and headphones at night, should i make a different preset for each ?

 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since this is new to you, I recommend going simple. Connect your speakers to Helix and build a very basic preset (don't mess around with the factory presets). I don't know what style of player you are, but for me I just drop in an amp/cab block in (like the Plexi model) and give it a play with default settings. See how you like it. 

 

I am not big on EQing my presets. I DO play with the amp settings and cabinet hi/low cuts, but nearly NONE of my preset have an eq block anywhere in there. I make it sound good to my ears with just the parameters on the amp, cab, and drive models, just like I would on my "real" guitar rig. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I'll be using the monitors during the day and headphones at night, should i make a different preset for each ?

 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

 

Yes. Not only will they more than likely not sound the same but the fletcher-munson effect will be coming into play when you're turning up the monitor so people can hear you. Two completely different beasts. But you'll find that out. Just try a headphone patch through your monitors and see what you get. I'm going to assume they will sound significantly different.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since this is new to you, I recommend going simple. Connect your speakers to Helix and build a very basic preset (don't mess around with the factory presets). I don't know what style of player you are, but for me I just drop in an amp/cab block in (like the Plexi model) and give it a play with default settings. See how you like it.

 

I am not big on EQing my presets. I DO play with the amp settings and cabinet hi/low cuts, but nearly NONE of my preset have an eq block anywhere in there. I make it sound good to my ears with just the parameters on the amp, cab, and drive models, just like I would on my "real" guitar rig.

Amen to all of that...

 

I use the 305's as well... biggest difference I find vs. headphones is the high end. A patch dialed in for the JBL's will typically have a bit to much treble when I switch to the cans. Two sets of patches is time well spent, unless you want to be tweaking back and forth all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...