Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 300/600 workbench connectivity issue via HD500 (Vista)

Hi guys,

Digital gadgetry has a bad day?

Does anyone know of an issue regarding connectivity between Variax 300/600 and workbench using Pod HD500, and Windows Vista? I have no issues with connecting to Monkey, or HD Edit, via the same connection.

So here's the story...

I successfully reflashed the firmware using Monkey in my 300/600 vaxplant, as I was having a strange warbling issue all of a sudden on the open 6th E, and fretted F. So after reflashing, I go back into Workbench to reload all my user patches from a backup, and it won't connect. I used monkey to download Workbench again, used the Line 6 uninstaller to uninstall Workbench, then re-installed it. Still no banana. Doesn't even recognise 300/600 as being connected. Disconnect everything, reconnect, still no banana.

I connected to my MacBook Pro, and everything connected fine, reloaded patches fine.

So I had a workaround, but I still want to have connectivity, as my computer workspace is where I usually do it all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 4:03 PM, eenymason said:

Does anyone know of an issue regarding connectivity between Variax 300/600 and workbench using Pod HD500, and Windows Vista? I have no issues with connecting to Monkey, or HD Edit, via the same connection.

Are you getting any "JAVA" errors? 

The Workbench installer tries to install an old version of JAVA that doesn't connect anymore... you need to install JAVA separately. 

http://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=230540_2f38c3b165be4555a1fa6e98c45e0808 

I also notice you said you used Monkey to re-install Workbench.... which version of Monkey? I have found the latest version wants to install Workbench HD which doesn't work with the 300/600. I needed to manually download/install Workbench (not the HD version) and Java separately... then it all worked. 

• Upvote 1

SOLVED:

Thanks for your response codamedia - no java errors, and monkey installed correct workbench...

I had the need to try it again last night, and with success - went through the process of selecting device, and found I had to select the Pod HD500 first, which I hadn't done on the previous (unsuccessful) effort. Although I felt it all somewhat confusing, I guess I'll have to put that one down to user error.... I don't recall having to do that ever before.

12 hours ago, eenymason said:

I had the need to try it again last night, and with success - went through the process of selecting device, and found I had to select the Pod HD500 first, which I hadn't done on the previous (unsuccessful) effort.

LOL - I made that same error on my desktop... and like you I ended up chalking it up to "user error". My laptop has always connected (I guess I made the right choice years ago) but when setting it up on my desktop it was a little frustrating. 

It's not the most intuitive interface... but it does actually work.