Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FHFX or HD500X

patdixon

I guess here is as good a place as anywhere to post this: for over ten years I've used an X3L, love it and have gotten used to it. Had the normal issues, ie; replaced all the mini switches & PS, light getting into the vol pedal etc. Have to "fake out" gearbox when I need it by turning amps on, then turn them all off afterward. I use the XLR outs direct to the board at church, but only use it as a stomp (no amp/cab/mic sims) in the cover band I play in. It works well that way but is getting old. 

I'm thinking because I only use it as a stomp live maybe the FHFX is what I need to replace it. Heard great things about the HD stuff but if I'm not using any of it what's the point? I could still use the X3L for church and setup the FH for live stuff but the iOS interface is a little daunting for me. What do ya'll think- get an HD500X and keep using it as a dual purpose tool or get an FH and split the two? 

The FH appeals to me because I like to keep it simple. Any responses much appreciated. 

8 hours ago, patdixon said:

.... but only use it as a stomp (no amp/cab/mic sims) in the cover band I play in. It works well that way but is getting old. 

.... What do ya'll think- get an HD500X and keep using it as a dual purpose tool or get an FH and split the two? 

The FH appeals to me because I like to keep it simple. Any responses much appreciated. 

I think you should consider the Helix FX unit. It's designed as a stompbox only (no amp/cab/mic modeling) and has the superior Helix FX models, much better than the Firehawk in my opinion.

I'm not talking about the full Helix device - I mean the much simpler HXFX unit:

https://line6.com/hx-effects

It's designed to be used as a stompbox. I think you'd actually find it simpler with an easier learning curve than the Firehawk. It includes all the FX that Firehawk has, and many more from Helix that are superior to anything in Firehawk. And it uses a PC/Mac editor - not the iOS that you say you find daunting.

I'm not trying to sell you on it but from your description of your needs and preferences I think it's a better fit.