Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need Help Syncing To Alesis SR-18 Drum Machine and Digitech RP-500 For Looping

SamGuitar91

Hello everyone.

So, my current goal with my Line6 PodHD500 is to create drum looping presets, akin to how the artist, Mylets, does looping.

He uses two M9's that are synced to an Alesis SR-18.

I currently own: Fender Jaguar Guitar, Novation Ultranova, Alesis SR-18, PODHD500, Digitech RP500 (with two broken knobs, but can still program presets via USB and still use the main switches)

However, I have been using both manuals for both devices and am kinda stumped, since I'm ultimately trying to refer to the MIDI sections. So far, I have both devices, the PodHD500 and the SR-18 drum machine on midi channel 10. I have a MIDI cable connected from the MIDI OUT from the Alesis SR-18, which then goes to the MIDI IN of the PodHD500.

The thing I would like to do is somehow take advantage of the Clock Out time data sent from the Alesis SR-18 drum machine, and send it to the PodHD500 to create loops that are synced and stopped in time.

My current "Drum Looper" preset just has my drum machine hooked in through the FX Loop with 50% volume being fed into the PodHD500. The looper on the PodHD500 itself works, but that's just me playing on the drum pads and clicking it in time. I want to figure out how to get it to create loops on the fly on the drum machine, then transfer it to the PodHD500 with perfect sync.

This is the current routing of my setup:

Guitar, Synth, Alesis SR-18 Drum Machine --> PODHD500 (through guitar input, aux input, and FX loop) --> Digitech RP500

My current workaround: Disregarding all midi tempo sync stuff aside, I've thought to create a drum loop on the PODHD500, record it, and stop it. Then, engage the looper on the Digitech RP500 which listens in for any input signal. Then, kick the PODHD500 looper switch on, and have the DigitechRP500 record that drum loop, and stop the Digitech RP500 when the loop is done, so that the clean, unaffected drum loop is now captured. At that point, then just keep looping on the Digitech RP500, since the Line6 PODHD500 is not in sync with the drum machine, nor the Digitech RP500

Available buttons I don't use: Tap Tempo Button. I'm wondering if I can assign this to a related function between devices, possibly to start and end both loops.

Any ideas on what to do?

Here's a reference video of Mylets doing his thing (The only available related information I was able to gather from interviews is that he sends Clock Out data from the SR-18 to both M9's, I'm guessing those are somehow controlled as MIDI slaves with the Alesis SR-18 being the master device):

Did you really ask a question on a Friday and then bump it on a Sunday - a time when most musicians are getting drunk, gigging, (or both) and simply have no interest in being connected to devices when there is music to be made and sex to be had. 

As always, one man's meat is another man's poison. I watched for a bit, mostly because I was convinced he was eventually gonna trip over the pedal board and fall on his a$$ with all that tap dancing... then the "vocals" kicked in, and I nearly ruptured my spleen. Next...

You can't sync the loops in the PODHD with another device.

I try to be open to new ideas in music but gott'a agree with cruisinon2 on this.  I was kicking back sipping on a diet coke waiting for tiny dancer to trip over his feet.  When the vocals kicked in I about spewed diet coke all over my monitor.

2 hours ago, joel_brown said:

You can't sync the loops in the PODHD with another device.

I try to be open to new ideas in music but gott'a agree with cruisinon2 on this.  I was kicking back sipping on a diet coke waiting for tiny dancer to trip over his feet.  When the vocals kicked in I about spewed diet coke all over my monitor.

Every generation has to have their "Yoko", I suppose...;)

• 2 weeks later...

He probably has more skill than half of you. If you don't get the vocals, or where midwest emo type dudes are coming from, then I can't help you on that front.

Back to my original point, is it possible to do this with my current equipment or no?

I have an Alesis SR-18, the POD HD500, and the Boss RC-50 (just got it a few weeks ago).

So far I've been able to send the MIDI message out from the Alesis SR-18 so that when I hit play on the drum machine, it starts the RC-50 looper pedal. However, it starts it up, and records over the current track. I'm wondering if I could possibly just make it send out tap tempo information, and sync it whenever I need it to.