Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD+DT Lead toneS sound best using studio direct

hichembell

Hello, 

Im using the dreamrig DT50 + HD500 

IT SOUNDS amazing in clean and crunch and super crunch ...i'm using combo power amp mode in the HD500.

the problem is that my lead sounds are too fizzy with too much highs .... I have a lot ofexperience in post eq in the pod (i use the pod since 2013) and what ever I did it always delivers too mushc highs

....yet when i switch to studio direct my lead sounds are amazing ( im using pre amp models ) 

is there any way to switch off mic modeling in clean sound in studio direct ...this way I WILL benefit from those amazing lead sounds in studio direct and maintain the same amazing clean and crunch tones That i have in   combo power amp mode (combo power amp mode  uses cab emulation without mic modellling) 

if no....do you think I can tweak my clean/ crunch sounds in  studio direct to get the exact feel and sound  as in "combo power amp mode" ?? Which mic model is the most transparent for this usage ??

Any one with the same experience ?? ANY user finding that studio/direct sounds better than the other modes  using l6 link into DT ??

I want that controlled miked equed lead tone that i get in studio/direct mode in my DT but still having that feel and lively sound in my clean and crunch sounds in combo power amo mode....

thank you in advance

I think there are two ways you could get something like that. Basically, a cab model is a low pass filter at it's core. Certainly there are a few other things going on, but you could try putting an EQ to fake a cab. An DSP expensive way to do it would be to use the Vintage PRE...It has a LPF and HPF...Set the HPF around 80Hz and the LPF around 5-6kHz...That will mimic the bandwidth response. Vintage Pre has a nice color to it, but it may not be what you want...just a work around to give something like a LIVE cab...Another way would be to inject cab modeling using something like a Hughes & Kettner Red Box in the FX Loop...But that would be sort of limited...

What if you approached this from the other direction and put a band pass on your lead tone and left it in Combo Power Amp Mode? You could do it with the Vintage PRE as stated above or with the mid focus EQ...basically, the idea to take all the high junk out that the Studio Direct Mode is doing...That is a very common approach for lead tones anyway...just a thought.

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

return to this topic. Recntly I purshased the hd model packs and tried them in my monitors and FRFR : the panama AMAZED ME !!!!! 

once pluged into the DT50 .......the same dissatisfaction ...fizzy tone :( not the real panama sound I got when plugd in frfr using studio direct mode...

I ordred a torpedo cab to initially use it with frfr ..... I will try to use it in the Fx loop of the pod with the DT50 and see what may happen...

I dreamed of this gear for years ...hope will find a way to get that amazing lead tone with the DT 

I tried your tips....while it helped little bit , it is far from the result I get with frfr and i spent hours and days using different eqs and corrections ....the mid focus eq gave me that bass response i Desire...but for the highs and high mids nothing helps...maybe if i cranck more the amp and I put my self far away from it my ears  will hear a pleasent frequency curve???  OR maybe Im initially searching for  a recorded sound without knowing it  ???I feel that in direct mode or in frfr the microphone sim adds alot to the highs and brings  that nasally but  pleasing lead effect I'm searching for  ... I'm little bit lost.... 

I already have a pleasing lead sound using the soldano but it is another kind of polished  lead tone  that i'm searching for this time

further help is welcomed

When you plug into an FRFR you are getting a 'miced amp' sound - the sound you hear on a record. Whereas when you play through the DT amp as intended you are getting an 'amp in the room' sound, just like the classic amps of old.

It all depends on what you personally like.

From experience when jamming with my band with only vocals and keys through the PA I want the 'amp in the room' sound, it cuts through so much better. When we play gigs where everything goes through the PA, that's when I want the 'miced amp' sound.

Lewis

• Like 1

what I discovred today is the following

harsh sound does not equal too much highs ! I am starting to get the tones im into using combo power amp mode ! 

the answer is neither studio eq nor vintage eq 

using parametric eq et graphique eq I discovred that on the contrary the problems lies in the lows and the upper mids : need mod lows / less upper mids / and more highs around 400 khz 

it is not yet the sound I desire but im starting to get usuable polished lead tones

thank you so much everybody once I'm done i will post my preset to share and for further advice 

special thank to spaceatl  who helped me those two past years before even getting my DT amp . you are the one who convinced me to nuy one without trying it and I DONT regret it 

love this forum 

see you soon