Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD550x how to hook to 2 different amps for stereo

ciscodudewan

Question. I have 2 80's Crate Amps that I am using the clean channel for the HD500x to connect to.   Question is how to I cable up in order to get a true Stereo sound?  I notice there is the 1/4 inch left and right mono for the output on the HD500x but it isnt Stereo?   Any advice would be appreciated..   Yes I use late 80s Crate Solid State amps, They are great for hair metal from the 80s era.

19 hours ago, ciscodudewan said:

Yes I use late 80s Crate Solid State amps, They are great for hair metal from the 80s era.

Yeah, dude, I never understood what these guys are talking about when they talk about tube amps, or the guys with the stacks for bar gigs. 

I used a Peavey Bandit 65 for darn close to 30 years, right up until the time I switched to my Pod. 

3 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

The "right/mono" refers to... 

It sums to mono if you are only using one jack. If you want to run stereo, all you need to do is use both jacks. 

BUT, "true stereo" also requires patches be designed properly. 

So how do I make sure the patches are designed properly if in fact left and right mono going into different amps can make it stereo..  Sorry but I am a newb at this line 6 stuff.  I have always used stand along effects.

Stereo, the simply usage, is using two amps. That is simple enough - just plug in two amps. 

But you said "true stereo", which (to me) means that you want to take it a step further and get different noises out of each speaker. 

That means panning left and panning right. 

That means running two chains. 

That means... 

Hey, if you are new, let's just get you familiar with the unit before you try more advanced stuff.

Here's a patch that will show you a way to get a stereo effect with a heavy tone.  It's made for the PODHD Desktop.  I think if you rename it to .hb5 it will work on the HD500.  Or you can download the Editor for the PODHD Desktop and view it there.  Basically you use a Stereo Digital Delay on one channel and set it to 20ms and turn it to full wet tone, no original dry signal on that channel.  There are other ways to get a stereo effect but this is the one I prefer.

http://www.childrenofthegraveband.com/BlackSabbath.hbe

Keep in mind that each chain is actually stereo. The pan controls on the mixer are actually balance controls. The mixer sums the stereo chains. The notion that the pan controls have to be panned hard Left and Right is actually a misnomer, sometimes. Depending on the type of effect you choose and where you place it on the chain(s), it is possible to make the chain or even the entire output mono. So just plug in the Left and Right outputs into your Crates, get the Advanced Guide and start tinkering. The parallel stereo chains are extremely powerful...but it takes a little time to get under all the different things you can do. Take some time and read the Advanced Guide. That will sharpen your questions I am sure.