Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD HBE file convertor to .HLX ?

Jagman13

Does any one have or know, of a file convertor to convert older POD HD .hbe files to the new HXN. hlx format? 

Got some great old POD HD patches that would be pretty cool to be able to convert import and play within HXN.

Before anyone says they are not compatible yes your right... BUT.....I was having a play with an old POD HD earlier and wondered, if I could recreate POD HD patches in Helix and hey presto...I can!  Obviously HXN is a lot more advanced but it also seems like a lot of the old POD HD amp models cabs and Mics have all pretty much the same parameters as HXN and the legacy effects are all there too. I manually entered all the POD HD parameters into HXN and recreated a few of my older POD HD patches in HXN  (with a tiny bit of tweaking) 

So... beggars the question does anyone have a file convertor? I have no idea how to do it myself otherwise I would, as it would be a very useful migration tool.. Saying that, I am also happy to enter the parameters myself into HXN if I need too (might be a long night....)

Any help or thoughts are really appreciated. 

Manual recreation as you have done is the only way to do this right now (and maybe ever). There is no converter.

And there likely will never be one since, as you've already noticed, straight conversion does not yield the same tone. That 'tiny bit of tweaking' you mention pretty much defeats the purpose, I think, in terms of anyone considering this task to be worth the significant effort.

Another observation about this that I have made many times (you're not the first to suggest this) is that HXN is capable of producing much higher quality tones than the POD HD. You're doing yourself a disservice if all you want to do with HXN is reproduce inferior tones. Rather than recreating HD presets and tweaking, try starting with a blank preset in HXN and build your own (superior) tones. It will take some practice and experience but I think you'll soon see why there's not much interest in a converter, at least not that I've seen.

Oh I don't know a convertor could get me into the ball park and as you mention with Helix being a lot more advanced be good to give them a polish :)

I am not saying there is going to be a massive demand but only asked is if someone had one or and be willing to share it, or at least point me in the right direction. I am sure a lot of old POD users might agree. perhaps not.. but I would like one. 

I would now consider myself an advanced user of HXN and part the reason I did the A/B between them was I wanted to hear the difference between the old and the new. 

A good guitar tone is a good guitar tone no matter what system you use to get it. and I don't always think because HXN has lots new bells and whistles it naturally makes it better... its what you do with those options that count. My patches and tones might sound like a sick cat screaming to your ears and visa versa. Doesn't mean to say i am wrong or your correct. Each to their own..:) 

I hear what your saying and agree on the whole yes, HXN is better than the old POD systems. I have heard some amazing patches on both and some absolute dross as well..whatever floats your  boat :) 

10 hours ago, silverhead said:

You're doing yourself a disservice if all you want to do with HXN is reproduce inferior tones.

Did you just call my Black Bean ugly!!  LOL!!!

I doubt a proper converter could be coded, but if someone where able to somehow create one, I would be worried about patches being corrupt.

I agree with Silverhead that there’s likely not going to a demand for this, crafting tones with the Helix is a different mindset.

44 minutes ago, Triryche said:

Did you just call my Black Bean ugly!!  LOL!!!

.......I

Not ugly. Just inferior!! Hah!

(Just kidding, all. I know there are lots of very satisfied HD owners who have no intention of moving to Helix. I'm not slagging y'all, just having some fun.)