Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Noise / Hissing Issue

ReyGlean

I understand that there were certain production releases that have this issue (link below) and I am having the same problem. It is not noticeable when playing, but when the guitar is completely muted, it is very obvious both from the amp and when mic'ed into the house speakers. I would like to hear from anyone who had this issue and what was the help/fix provided by Line6?

I have raised a support ticket and I am expecting a response from them anytime soon, but I would like to hear from people who had this similar issue. Thank you, everyone!

In my case.... if I place the loop or a return before certain drives (Teemah, Valve Driver, Compulsive, etc...) in the HX it becomes very noisy (white noise.... hiss) even if there is nothing in that loop or return. Not all drives invoke it... but there is no correlation between high gain and low gain either. 

Line 6 told me that was the problem they have addressed.... but I am in Canada and cannot deal with them directly. I tried a different unit at the store I bought it from.... but it was an old unit (old firmware) and had that problem as well. They are bringing in a new unit for me from the distributor and my fingers are crossed that it is a newer pre-screened version. If not, I will continue to live with it for a little longer.

Some have suggested a loop or return always creates added noise.. I call absolute BS on that. I have never seen a properly designed loop or added input (return) create this level of noise before. My HD500 loop is also dead quiet... this is not normal.

To get around this problem, I don't put any loops or returns before certain drive blocks in the unit. It's a work around, not a solution. 

So Line6 support responded to my ticket saying that my unit requires servicing at my nearest dealer (Yamaha here in Singapore, Asia), which I find unacceptable because this is just a 10-day old purchase. I have asked for a 1-to-1 replacement and see what comes up next.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm having this same issue. It is very disheartening considering the amount of time I've spent setting up my patches for live performances. (hours and hours of time).  I bought this unit new through Musician's Friend. Set it up, and then within a week, one of the control knobs seized up. I sent it back to Line 6 and  had it repaired. They sent it back to me with factory resets, so I had to set it up all over again.  Fast forward to my first live show and I plug in only to get a really loud hum/buzz. I thought maybe it was the power source or lights, but when I bypassed the effects pedal it was perfectly silent. I'm going direct into the front of my Marshall Vintage Modern. I tried switching to 4 cable method through effects loop and it was the same. I'm not really happy about this and am going to ask for a replacement unit. I'm hoping there is some possible way to store and reload my patches rather than starting from scratch again.

2 hours ago, mattguitar01 said:

I'm having this same issue. It is very disheartening considering the amount of time I've spent setting up my patches for live performances. (hours and hours of time).  I bought this unit new through Musician's Friend. Set it up, and then within a week, one of the control knobs seized up. I sent it back to Line 6 and  had it repaired. They sent it back to me with factory resets, so I had to set it up all over again.  Fast forward to my first live show and I plug in only to get a really loud hum/buzz. I thought maybe it was the power source or lights, but when I bypassed the effects pedal it was perfectly silent. I'm going direct into the front of my Marshall Vintage Modern. I tried switching to 4 cable method through effects loop and it was the same. I'm not really happy about this and am going to ask for a replacement unit. I'm hoping there is some possible way to store and reload my patches rather than starting from scratch again. 

If the noise you're talking about is a buzz or hum, that sounds different than the issue that was in this thread. That was mainly a white noise, hissing sort of sound. There's a pretty distinct difference. Not saying you don't have a legitimate issue, but I'm not sure it's this same thing... Is the noise you're hearing a 60-cycle hum type of noise or something else?

As far as backing up patches, just create backup file in HX Edit. Go to File>Create Backup, and follow the prompts.

• 3 years later...

Hi, same issue here. Did you manage to find a solution?

I have a rather large pedalboard, and the HX Effects is towards the end of it.
Before the unit, I have about 5-6 pedals. I tried plugging in the ins/outs of each of them, adding until I got to the HX Effects. They were silent up to that point. Then, I plugged in the in/out of the HX, instrument level, straight into my Twin Reverb Tonemaster.
I power everything from a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 3 Plus, which is powered by a Furman conditioner. I tried having my board powered from the power supply and the HX alone from its original adapter. Hiss is still there.

Any advice? Thank you

On 12/17/2022 at 4:48 AM, vladvartosu said:

Hi, same issue here. Did you manage to find a solution?

The HX Effects should be very quiet when using ins/outs, some people have problem with noise in the loops. 

On 12/17/2022 at 4:48 AM, vladvartosu said:

Any advice? Thank you

Test the HX Effects all by itself to see if noise is there. That will tell you if the HX itself is the problem, or if it's a compatibility issue with the other effects. If the noise is only there with other effects, try changing the "last pedal" to see if that makes any difference. I'm not saying you have to change your effect order, I'm simply suggesting this for the sake of troubleshooting. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...