Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Effects Choices for Replicating This Tone?

soundog

These days you never know if the effects were generated by pedals or plug-ins on studio tunes. I was thinking of cranking up a Leslie and playing with the EQ, as the tone is midrange heavy. Thanks, @codamedia.

Good input. I found a gearpage thread that mentions Doyle often plays through a Vibratone amp or sometimes a Blue Hippo pedal (chorus). I couldn't find a specific Vibratone amp model in Helix, but there is a legacy effect block based on the Vibratone called "Rotary Drum" that gets me pretty darned close.

This thread was also useful:

On 10/22/2018 at 12:59 PM, soundog said:

Good input. I found a gearpage thread that mentions Doyle often plays through a Vibratone amp or sometimes a Blue Hippo pedal (chorus). I couldn't find a specific Vibratone amp model in Helix, but there is a legacy effect block based on the Vibratone called "Rotary Drum" that gets me pretty darned close.

This thread was also useful:

The Vibratone model in Helix is not an amp model, it is a modulation section  right next to the two Leslie models. I just looked it up, it's called Vibe Rotary. I usually put it right in front of the cab/IR block in Helix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbuhajla said:

The Vibratone model in Helix is not an amp model, it is a modulation section  right next to the two Leslie models. I just looked it up, it's called Vibe Rotary. I usually put it right in front of the cab/IR block in Helix. 

Another cool trick is to run a Leslie or Vibratone effect in place of the cab block/cabinet IR

Good tip! Seeing the Scanner Vibrato reminded me of our guitar player trying to figure out how to fix his amp back in the early 70's and we were amazed that the reverb unit was a weird motorized paint can containing oily stuff and other strange parts. I just looked it up ..... wasn't familiar with the "Tel-Ray Oilcan reverb/delay".

Insane:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ADBrown said:

Another cool trick is to run a Leslie or Vibratone effect in place of the cab block/cabinet IR

I tried that a few times, but I liked the "warmer" sound of running it in front of the IR. That's the awesome thing about Helix, no rules...

• Like 1