Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 69S string change

blogwiser

I am a retired, 58yo  home studio enthusiast. I have a JTV  69S Variax, and I have an issue regarding my first string replacement. I removed all the old strings, and right away things went south. The nut fell off, as did the bridge, hanging only by the wiring. One this happened, of course the whammy springs fell out and were a beast getting the first string attached while holding the springs in place. After getting all the strings loaded, the nut remains loosely in place and moves when I bend any string. This isn't my first rodeo, but I felt like an idiot having such a hard time with such a simple issue. It was utter madness getting to this point. First dumb question- shouldn't the nut be fixed in place? Glue? and if so, what kind is best? Second- after the change I noticed the whammy bar is quite low to the body. I don't know if this is something I hadn't noticed before the change. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. My head of grey hair seems even more grey now. 

Like the saying goes, "the only dumb question is the one that is not asked."

String nut,... use Elmer's, the white glue. Thin and even. pull the Hi-E string across its nut slot to line-up the edge. 

There should be 2 to 2.25 millimeters (2.5mm max limit) of edge clearance between the string and the edge of the neck,

so as to minimize Hi-E string edge slippage when doing string bends and pulls. Once aligned, let the glue set for a couple

of hours before playing. 

Best have a guitar tech do it,... string change and tension up then they can do the set-up (relief, action, intonation, tremolo and pick-up height). 

Unless you're a well practiced guitar tech, fresh strings on a guitar like this takes practice and getting used to. Easier for me, cause I've been doing 

this most of my life, since my teens. You get used to it. 

This sort of thing happens all the time. Next time, change strings one at a time to maintain string tension on the neck. Takes practice doing one of

these pulling all strings off at once. 

All else fails, take it to a Line 6 authorized guitar service tech. 

On 11/4/2018 at 3:19 AM, blogwiser said:

I am a retired, 58yo  home studio enthusiast. I have a JTV  69S Variax, and I have an issue regarding my first string replacement. I removed all the old strings, and right away things went south. The nut fell off, as did the bridge, hanging only by the wiring. One this happened, of course the whammy springs fell out and were a beast getting the first string attached while holding the springs in place. After getting all the strings loaded, the nut remains loosely in place and moves when I bend any string. This isn't my first rodeo, but I felt like an idiot having such a hard time with such a simple issue. It was utter madness getting to this point. First dumb question- shouldn't the nut be fixed in place? Glue? and if so, what kind is best? Second- after the change I noticed the whammy bar is quite low to the body. I don't know if this is something I hadn't noticed before the change. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. My head of grey hair seems even more grey now. 

As already mentioned, any guitar with a 2-point floating bridge really needs one string replaced at a time... keeping the bridge in its neutral position is a delicate balance between the tremolo springs and string tension. If you completely remove the latter, the springs will yank the bridge right off the posts, as you've seen. If after you get everything back together you find that the treble side of the bridge is closer to the guitar body than the bass side, adjust the bridge posts (the points where the bridge itself pivots) up or down accordingly, until everything is level. 

The nut is an easy fix... I've had that happen to a number of guitars over the years. A little Elmer's glue will work fine, just make sure the nut sits even in the slot. 

If you poke around YouTube, you can find any number of basic guitar set-up how-to videos that'll walk you through the basics.  It's good to learn... you'll save a ton of money in the long run learning to do it yourself. All guitars need routine maintenance, and it ain't rocket science once you get passed the initial fear of screwing it up.

Thanks for the response. I don't know why I was expecting to be pounced upon for such a remedial issue, but once again the Line 6 and musician community in general have engaged with a positive and useful message. In the future I will feel less apprehensive about reaching out for help. I am very happy with my Helix/ Variax + setup. The best part- options, options options. may the Universe continue to lead us toward peaceful and inspiring dialogue.