Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp: Using an external midi pedal switcher (with analog drives) in snapshot mode

matteofroio

I Everyone, this is my first post

I'm Italian, sorry for the bad english ;-)

the question is:

Is it possible to use the HX Stomp as a controller for an exteral midi pedal switcher (like the disaster area dpc8ez) as described below?

My goal is to set the unit always in snapshot mode, using a snapshot bank per song and the corrisponding 3 snapshot for the sections of the song (verse-chorus-solo/special)

I want to use the unit solely for modulation, reverbs, delays and eventually amp simulation, using the dpc8ez (or other midi pedals switcher) as a controller for 3/4 analog drive pedals combination.

So...can I assign each button for recalling a snapshot AND a preset on the pedal swicther?

Example of a song/snapshot bank:

- snapshot/switch n 1: no pedals from the switcher + some effects from the hx

- snapshot/switch n 2: preset 1 on the pedal switcher and no effects from the hx

- snapshot/switch n 3: preset 4 on the pedal switcher + some effects from the hx

thanks in advance to everyone

ciao from italy

Teo

I own neither a dpc8ez or HX Stomp, so what I'm about to say is strictly from my reading of the manuals. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Assuming that I correctly understand your requirement:

As near as I can tell, the HX Stomp will send PC messages, but NOT CC messages. Your dpc8ez Loops' ON/OFF status is controlled using CC messages, so using Snapshots for this won't work (piece of cake to set up on my Helix Floor).

The only way I can see to make it work would be to have your Loops set up in dpc8ez presets, whose PC#s correspond to your HX Stomp Preset #s. With GLOBAL/MIDI/MIDI PC TX set ON, when you select a HX Stomp preset, it's corresponding PC# will be sent to the dpc8ez.

On the full size Helix, switching presets can cause an audio lag/drop. Depending on how you're using it, this could be a problem. However, I suspect that the time it takes to switch presets/loops on your dpc8ez will also cause a lag, so that lag could be inevitable whether using snapshots or presets.

Very bad

they should consider this when they decide to make the unit with only one external loop.

the fact that also the full helix version has this problem is a shame 

Is that something that could be fixed in a future release or it is a hardware limit?

thanks

Teo

6 hours ago, matteofroio said:

Very bad

they should consider this when they decide to make the unit with only one external loop.

the fact that also the full helix version has this problem is a shame 

Is that something that could be fixed in a future release or it is a hardware limit?

thanks

Teo

The full Helix has 4 loops. In addition, it DOES send CC#s as well as PC#s, AND you can disable the automatic PC# send in favor of sending specific PC#s as required using Instant Commands. Because of these added functions in the full sized Helix (as well as having more buttons and more snapshots), setting up the full Helix to control the dpc8ez with snapshots was simple, the only restrictions being the requirement to use the auto PC send method and, since there's only 6 Instant Commands available, you're limited to controlling 6 of the 8 loops in the dpc8ez. When you upgrade to the full Helix, let me know and I'll send you a preset that demonstrates the method.

As for design considerations, a Fiat is a good car, but it is NOT a Ferrari! It's a simple case of having the right tool for the job (and being able to pay for it)!

I suspect that in the future, the HX Stomp will get improvements to it's MIDI capabilities. Maybe even more snapshots. However, the # of physical loops will stay the same (you only NEED 1 for your application), and you'll always be limited (for your purposes) by the smaller # of buttons available in a device with that small a footprint.