Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab vs SD Powerstage w/ Speaker Cab

B-O-G

Hi,

Was hoping to get some thoughts from people on amplification solutions for the Helix and I've narrowed my options down to either a Powercab Plus (possibly two to run stereo, but that could be overkill) or get a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 and run through my current speaker cabs. I know that the Powercab Plus will give me more versatility with the different speaker models, but I'm also interested in the SD Powerstage with my current 212 cabs to save some space, as well as keeping things simple because I'm not sure I need all of the flexibility of the PC+. Is there anyone here with experience with either one of these (or both) that could help me out? That is, make a good case for either solution with sounds being the primary focus, and not think too much about the cost. Thx.

B.O.G

I usually end up running similar cab models on my patches.  So, if I had a cab that I loved, I’d consider using it.  It’s hard to beat the versatility of the power cab though.

Playing out live, I’d most likely choose the powercab for weight and flexibility alone.  It’d have to be some really awesome cabs to make me haul them to gigs these days.

I play mainly small clubs where both physical space and musical space is limited. My current lineup is a HX Stomp running into a SD-170 with a Friedman Dirty Shirley 1X12 open back Cabinet loaded with a Celestion cream back . The SD-170  is plugged into the Send which is placed (in parallel) before the cab module but after the other fx blocks in the signal chain. The balanced output (L/MONO) is then fed directly to the house mixing board with cab emulation. This allows me to control my stage volume and tone independently from the house mix. So far its been working out great.  

• Thanks 1

I bought a PC+ to try out...there was a lot to like. The overall sound quality was very good. I felt like the power section was great and the different speaker cab simulations were all very unique sounding. All in all, it appears to me to be a great piece of gear. I did end up returning it, however, because I think that after years of playing with combos or open back or ported cabs, I felt like the PC+ just wasn't quite giving me that "Amp in a room" sound that I was accustomed to. I ended up trying my Helix through the effects return of (please don't cringe) my 1x12 Boss Katana, and after a little bit of tweaking I was able to find a sound that was actually quite good. I'm just a bedroom player and I don't play out at all, so this will work fine for me. I think that if I ever find myself in a band situation I would try the SD power amp, but it just isn't necessary for me right now.