Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hughes&Kettner effectloop problem

ernsttore

Maybe not the right forum for discussing this but hope someone can help.

My Hughes&Kettner TubeMeister 40 deluxe have some soundbleed when the effectloop 

is activated, nothing on my clean channel but both crunch and lead channels.

Thing is that when connecting my Helix in 4cm mode with this amp some of the sound

is going directly  to the speakers when the loop is activated, and since digital gear have some latency 

there will be this unpleasant phasing effect.... isn’t the effectloop 100% serial on these amps?

Just curious if there’s anyone that have experienced  this with these amps?

42 minutes ago, CraigGT said:

I've got a Tubemeister 36 and never come across this problem, try unplugging the loop cables at the Helix end, if you still get sound it's your amp and if you don't it's something on the Helix.

Craig

Thanks for the reply, it’s definitely something wrong with the amp because with nothing 

plugged in the effectloop of the amp it still have this issue, have contacted Thomann 

were I bought it and they have contacted Hughes&Kettner directly ,and this was the answer they got from them:  

"It can reproduce this behavior but it is not considered as a fault – because you normally switch the fx-loop off when it is not used"

Of coarse it’s not a problem when nothing plugged in and loop off, but the problem starts when 

i connect my Helix to the loop of the amp as i have told them from the very beginning,

the soundbleed is still present.

Thomann can not help me with this since H&K tells them that this is not a fault,

so i’m thankful  to hear other users experience about this amps effectloop before i 

contact H&K myself....

Thanks...

1 hour ago, CraigGT said:

if you plug jacks that are not connected to anything into the FX send and return, if you can get a sound with the loop turned on then I'd say it was definitely faulty.

Craig

Yep, i agree...

I get this soundbleed even when nothing is plugged in the loop with the loop on,  it is dead quiet on the clean channel when loop on, even volume on full, but not on the crunch and lead channels with the loop on,and the sound gets louder as I turn up the volume, does not help to turn the volume all the way down, i can still hear some sound coming from the cabinet....

(Helix is totally disconnected, just my gitar plugged in the amp)

If this is not the case with your amp, it’s working as it should, and mine does certainly have a 

faulty FX loop...

Thanks

I just checked mine with a guitar plugged in the front and nothing in the back,

With the loop switch off it works as expected,

With the loop switched on I get nothing

Patch the send and return with a cable and it comes back on.

All exactly as you would expect, if yours is behaving differently then I'd suggest that it's faulty.

The manual describes it as a serial fx loop and that's how I'd expect it to work.

Craig 

Thanks for the input, seams like you Craig have the same issue but maybe not as severe as mine I’ll think.... i play mostly at low volume so this a big problem, and increasing the volume on the amp just make it worse...

Maybe the right word is a “bad design” and they just excuse themselves with some undefined 

reasons...Have now contacted H&K directly and are curious to hear what they have to say

about this issue, but I’m afraid that i get the same answer that Thomann got from them!

Asked Thomann if they could test this on a another TubeMeister deluxe 40, but they told me that they did not have any there to test!   hmmm strange.....?

Mine is possibly the norm and in no way could it be a problem so I guess yours must be worse.

Have a listen to the clip recorded from the redbox out on the crunch channel.

The first chord is with the loop off and the 2nd at about 8 seconds is with it turned on but it is barely audible.

Craig

H&K.mp3