Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do disabled blocks consume processing power?

kerryhall1

So I am trying to set up a "master preset", one that uses all 16 block slots, and then enable/disable blocks as needed with snapshots. (For gapless switching mainly)

Each snapshot will only have from four to six blocks enabled at a time, just different combinations of blocks. (And input/outputs, exp pedal assignments, ext amp control, midi, block settings, etc!)

I'm guessing if I just keep the other ten to twelve blocks disabled I don't have to worry about them making the DSPs sluggish, but it would be good to know. 99% sure the answer to my question is "No, they don't" but always better to check imo.

29 minutes ago, kerryhall1 said:

So I am trying to set up a "master preset", one that uses all 16 block slots, and then enable/disable blocks as needed with snapshots. (For gapless switching mainly)

Each snapshot will only have from four to six blocks enabled at a time, just different combinations of blocks. (And input/outputs, exp pedal assignments, ext amp control, midi, block settings, etc!)

I'm guessing if I just keep the other ten to twelve blocks disabled I don't have to worry about them making the DSPs sluggish, but it would be good to know. 99% sure the answer to my question is "No, they don't" but always better to check imo.

Anytime you add a block the system has to reserve DSP for it, so yes, they do in a sense consume processing power, even if you just have them bypassed. It assumes there may come a moment where you might want every single one of them active, and for that reason, it won't let you put in too many blocks if it couldn't have them all active at once. 

I assume you're correct that if they aren't active the processors aren't actually chewing on anything, but I'm curious, have you ever actually felt like the processor was sluggish when you used a large amount of DSP blocks?  I've never heard of that. 

5 hours ago, kerryhall1 said:

So I am trying to set up a "master preset", one that uses all 16 block slots, and then enable/disable blocks as needed with snapshots.

FYI: In a live situation I run a master preset for each guitar.... I create a full "serial chain" that can hold up to 32 blocks. I don't use all 32, but it is certainly around the 25 mark. Once I enter my preset the snapshots (8 snap mode) take care of all my fundamental tones, and I use stomps for the little extras I use on occasion such as chorus, phase, octave, etc... etc... 

Even though the processing power is reserved when you add a block, what you want to do will not make the Helix sluggish... and with careful choice of effects and placement (spread out between the dsp) you should be able to load what you need.