Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

external midi doesnt work unless Midi over usb: on Midi throu:on

shemeshg

and with through: on causes Loopback.

1. set general settings to Midi over usb: on Midi throu: on

These two actions are essential to send midi through the midi out jack(MIDI DIN)

open Logic pro.

1. Right click display and set to custom

2. create external midi track, set output to Helix and send any note like C4(DO in the do re mi...)

3. No need to connect anything to the midi in DIN to produce the error.

Expected Error: This will cause infinite loop where the C4 is sent through the DIN, AND through the USB. this cause feed back from the usb again...

Expected Test Comparison: Connect any other sound card like Focusrite, and see it has no problem. Note: It is possible to walk-around and remove the incoming midi connection through the usb, using the "Environment Window" but it does not make any sense.

1 hour ago, shemeshg said:

and with through: on causes Loopback.

1. set general settings to Midi over usb: on Midi throu: on

These two actions are essential to send midi through the midi out jack(MIDI DIN)

open Logic pro.

1. Right click display and set to custom

2. create external midi track, set output to Helix and send any note like C4(DO in the do re mi...)

3. No need to connect anything to the midi in DIN to produce the error.

Expected Error: This will cause infinite loop where the C4 is sent through the DIN, AND through the USB. this cause feed back from the usb again...

Expected Test Comparison: Connect any other sound card like Focusrite, and see it has no problem. Note: It is possible to walk-around and remove the incoming midi connection through the usb, using the "Environment Window" but it does not make any sense.

I don't have Logic to test with, but I'm confused about your setup.

If nothing is connected to the MIDI IN DIN (for control of downstream devices), then MIDI THRU is unnecessary. What is it that's connected to the MIDI OUT DIN, and what are you using it for in Logic?

As far as I know, the DIN ports are always enabled. The OUT port will send any MIDI configured in the Helix (PC SEND, Command Center assignments), as well as passing any MIDI coming from the IN port when MIDI THRU is enabled. It shouldn't pass ANYTHING coming IN from USB.

Try using a MIDI monitor OUTSIDE of Logic to see if you can reproduce the problem there. Maybe it's a setting in Logic?

Hi

I have Helix, with sound module [Roland D-100] and some times Neutron, connected to the Midi out.

I'd like to be able to play the Roland using the MIDI DIN out, without causing loopback.

rd2rk - I thought that too, but surprisingly, the MIDI THRU also Re-Play whatever comes into Helix through USB,

hence the bug 

I've tested that on other 2 sound cards I have (Focusrite), and they do not have this bug.

It is not problem in logic, I've written simple plugin in Midi-js and found  it does this eco-ing thing too.