Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab Plus FRFR Mode Sounds Muffled

kensayers

I tried the following with the associated results:

- Helix with cab models into powercab on FRFR mode via L6 Link - sounds very muffled

- Play music from my computer through helix into powercab on FRFR mode via L6 Link - sounds very muffled

- Play helix without cab model into powercab on speaker emulation mode via L6 Link - sounds very bright

- Play music from my computer out of headphone jack into powercab on FRFR mode via L6 Link - sounds muffled

- Play music from my computer out of headphone jack into PA speaker via xlr inputs - sounds fine

- Play music from my computer out of headphone jack into powercab on FRFR mode via xlr inputs - sounds muffled

- Play music from my computer out of headphone jack into powercab on speaker emulation mode via xlr inputs - sounds bright

It seems as if the FRFR is not flat at all.  It lacks all highs.  I tried to take all the other variables out.

Please let me know if I need to raise a support ticket or if there is something else I may be doing wrong.

Thanks

Ken

The 000 Flat preset was in the FRFR voicing.  I switch to LF Flat and it sounds much better.  I also tried LF Raw and it sounded better.  I saved it to with the LF Flat voicing.

The manual seems wrong as it says there are three voicings:

"

Voicing - Selects the final post-processing EQ and crossover settings for the speaker system.

- FRFR - Uses the high-frequency compression driver with a flattened frequency-response EQ for full-range operation

- LF Solo - Uses only the woofer with no EQ applied, allowing it to be utilized like a typical guitar speaker

- LF Flat - Uses only the woofer with a flattened frequency response EQ.  This voicing is used for the Speaker Mode

"

This doesn't make any sense.

First of all there is no "LF Solo".

FRFR sounds like either LF Solo or LF Flat on my powercab as it doesn't seem to use the high-frequency compression driver.

LF Flat sounds like what they call FRFR above.

LF Raw sounds a lot like LF Flat.

Are there updates to the manual available.

Your response got me what I needed.

Thanks so much!

Ken

Weird mine seems to do just the opposite. In Flat mode FRFR it sounds very Bright when using a Cab in the Helix, In speaker mode it sounds slightly more muffled when not using a Cab in the helix ,  but it still sounds very good.  Do you have Global EQ setup on the Helix, or any Low or High Cuts set anywhere?

• 3 months later...
On 1/12/2019 at 6:41 PM, kensayers said:

The 000 Flat preset was in the FRFR voicing.  I switch to LF Flat and it sounds much better.  I also tried LF Raw and it sounded better.  I saved it to with the LF Flat voicing.

The manual seems wrong as it says there are three voicings:

"

Voicing - Selects the final post-processing EQ and crossover settings for the speaker system.

- FRFR - Uses the high-frequency compression driver with a flattened frequency-response EQ for full-range operation

- LF Solo - Uses only the woofer with no EQ applied, allowing it to be utilized like a typical guitar speaker

- LF Flat - Uses only the woofer with a flattened frequency response EQ.  This voicing is used for the Speaker Mode

"

This doesn't make any sense.

First of all there is no "LF Solo".

FRFR sounds like either LF Solo or LF Flat on my powercab as it doesn't seem to use the high-frequency compression driver.

LF Flat sounds like what they call FRFR above.

LF Raw sounds a lot like LF Flat.

Are there updates to the manual available.

Your response got me what I needed.

Thanks so much!

Ken

Did you ever get anywhere with this?  Just got mine and seems to be acting exactly the same way.

Thanks,

Steve

• 1 year later...

Hi @dgothard, I know this is over a year old, but I just got my PC (regular 112), and have been having the exact same issue where the FRFR is much too bright. Did you ever solve this? Thanks!

On 1/18/2019 at 11:08 PM, dgothard said:

Weird mine seems to do just the opposite. In Flat mode FRFR it sounds very Bright when using a Cab in the Helix, In speaker mode it sounds slightly more muffled when not using a Cab in the helix ,  but it still sounds very good.  Do you have Global EQ setup on the Helix, or any Low or High Cuts set anywhere?

• 2 years later...

I think his issue is that in the FRFR mode, the sound is not too bright - actually it's missing the high frequencies.

I have the same issue too with my PC 'regular' 112 - the flat mode (while led on. should be FRFR) is not usable at all using helix LT with cabs/IRs (even tried without it).

It just sounds still in it's carton box.

Other speaker modes in the PC sounds good (with helix presets that don't use cabs/IRs).