Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replace stock Shuriken Baritone pickup

dietrickhardwick

I use EMG 81’s in my guitars usually. When I play the Shuriken in standard mode without varied engaged, the pickup isn’t at all what I’m looking for. I just got a custom made Fishman Fluence based on their Modern. It’s an active pickup. I’d really like to put it in the Shuriken. I understand it would void the warranty and I may have to modify it to find room for the battery. But, I’d really use this guitar for my main player if I can do this. 

Does anyone have any experience installing active pickups as replacements? Are there any wiring tips or concerns? I was going to let my tech have a go at it but I read somewhere that the ohms on output needs to be under a certain threshold and maybe actives were a no go. I understand it has to run through the existing pot etc. and my pickup comes with its own push pull pot.. another sign it may not be workable. 

Any and All help or input is greatly appreciated. I’d really like to find a way to get this going, the current stock pickup isn’t at all along the lines of what I like. 

Thanks, all,

dietrick/mindcage

Active pick-up, using a 9-volt battery?

Don't do that. Active retrofits are incompatible. Unless your tech has a lot of experience

with this particular product, don't do it. Use passive PUP's.

Line 6 does not support mods like this. If you void your warranty and have need to send here for servicing,

I would have to send it back untouched, or undo the mods, service it, then send it back as a normal Shuriken.

On 1/15/2019 at 6:56 PM, dietrickhardwick said:

Thank you for the reply. It is just such a great guitar, I would use it for everything if I could put my favorite type pickup in, thus far I just use it for Variax clean sounds to record. Perhaps I will try workbench and see if I can get close that way to the active pickup sound.

Try this on workbench. Need to l9gin to download it. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24192.0