Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Long RJ-45 cable for sound check

If I wanted to get out into the room during sound check, would there be any drawback to use a 50 foot length of RJ-45?   I'd still use my Line 6 VDI cable for the actual song sets.  This would run from Helix on stage to JTV-59

http://AmazonBasics RJ45 Cat-6 Ethernet Patch Cable - 50 Feet (15.2 Meters)

The only drawback would be the potential for damage due to some undesirable stress at either end of the cable in case of some sort of cable twisting or tugging. This could damage the connector pins inside the JTV or Helix VDI jack. Not very likely if you're careful but still possible.

Have you considered recording a loop in Helix and playing it back while you walk the room for soundcheck? Would there be any difference in terms of your goal?

On 2/3/2019 at 9:23 PM, Indianrock2020 said:

That's a good idea, I'll try it.    I'm probably also going to get the Relay G10s wireless, but not sure I'll use it with the JTV since I'd have to go back to using the guitar battery etc.

Why not use the wireless (and the battery) for soundcheck and then switch to vdi for the show? You were originally going to switch cables anyway. Or the looper, as Kilrahi suggests. :)

14 minutes ago, Thark said:

Why not use the wireless (and the battery) for soundcheck and then switch to vdi for the show? You were originally going to switch cables anyway. Or the looper, as Kilrahi suggests. :)

This will work to a large extent but there will be at least a minor difference in the sound of the wireless/battery/1/4" output from the Variax vs. the VDI output. Consequently, during the soundcheck with 1/4" you won't be hearing exactly what the audience will hear during the show using VDI. Also, depending on how you set up your presets for VDI input you might have to edit them during soundcheck to include the Guitar input.

18 minutes ago, silverhead said:

This will work to a large extent but there will be at least a minor difference in the sound of the wireless/battery/1/4" output from the Variax vs. the VDI output. Consequently, during the soundcheck with 1/4" you won't be hearing exactly what the audience will hear during the show using VDI. Also, depending on how you set up your presets for VDI input you might have to edit them during soundcheck to include the Guitar input.

Ahh ... forgot that. Another instance of my being lazy, LOL! For the past while I’ve only used the VDI input. Can’t remember when I last used the 1/4” input. 

I think using the wireless during sound check and a 1/4 inch cable plus battery , and the vdi for the actual performance will work.... this is going to be used in a full band mix with several hundred people in the congregation singing so I doubt if there's anybody going to hear the difference...... I thought about using the looper in the Helix but that's a pain in the neck when you're set up for all snapshots.

Yes - using the looper can be a bit of a tap dance. I suggest you give your plan a test while you're practicing alone. Check for any difference in volume level in your presets when using 1/4"  vs. VDI. If there is any you will have to adjust for this during/after soundcheck.