Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix copying tones within a snapshot

Oggyswain

I'm not sure what you mean by copying tones, but you can copy an entire preset that has snapshots defined in it to a different location and then work on it there.  Snapshots are preset dependent meaning they work specifically on the blocks defined within a specific preset.  You can't take a snapshot and have it magically understand how to work in a preset that has different amps, effects, and so forth.  To copy a preset containing snapshots simple hit the Save button and then at the bottom of the screen you can use the knobs to dial in a different location for the preset.

OK So if I understand you correctly. I can't have a completely different setup in every snapshot.  So I can have a bunch of effects that can turn off and on within the snapshot. They all have 5 effects. 1 snapshot only has effect 1 on. The second snapshot has 1 and 5 effects on. 3 snapshot has them all on. etc. Is that correct?

"I'm not sure what you mean by copying tones, but you can copy an entire preset that has snapshots defined in it to a different location and then work on it there.  Snapshots are preset dependent meaning they work specifically on the blocks defined within a specific preset.  You can't take a snapshot and have it magically understand how to work in a preset that has different amps, effects, and so forth.  To copy a preset containing snapshots simple hit the Save button and then at the bottom of the screen you can use the knobs to dial in a different location for the preset."

So Snapshots work with whatever FX/Amp models are already in a preset, and you can set just about every setting to do something different per Snapshot of a preset, but you can't change the amp model/FX models of a block from snapshot to snapshot. So you can't say, setup a preset with a Fender and OD and save that to snapshot 1, then have snapshot 2 be a Panama with a delay, unless you have the Fender, OD, Panama, and Delay already in the preset. 

Got it! Maybe they can change that in there next upgrade. : -)

"So you can't say, setup a preset with a Fender and OD and save that to snapshot 1, then have snapshot 2 be a Panama with a delay, unless you have the Fender, OD, Panama, and Delay already in the preset."

That's what preset changes are for. If you had to load a new amp model in each snapshot it would take as along as a preset change anyways, introduce gaps in the audio, and you wouldn't be able to have delay trails. Think of presets as being able to change out your whole rig with one button. You wouldn't be able to switch amp heads, cabs, and pedals without everything turning off. Think of Snapshots as being able to turn all the knobs on your rig simultaneously to exactly where you need them to make a different sound. 

• Like 1

This is one of the considerations you have to take into account depending on the type of music you play and where and how you play.  For example, if I want a Rolling Stones kind of sound, I generally wouldn't want to mix that in the same preset with a Jimi Hendrix sound.  You could, and separate them with snapshots, but you'd quickly run out of DSP memory space once you decided to add in a Queen sound, or a Hank Williams sound.  The point being you need to have a strategy in your head as to how you're going to use presets, and how you'll use snapshots within those presets.  There's lots of different strategies people use depending on their needs.