Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix to control vocal processor.

TheDarkKnight1

Hi everyone,

I have had my Helix for a very short time and while I have been successful at programing what I need, I am very new to this and need a little advice. I want to pick up a TC Helicon Perform-V for my mic. I have read that I will be able to control external effects with the Helix. Since I am very new to the Helix and products of the sort, how do I go about setting up both units so that when I go to a preset, the Perform-V will be "triggered" to go on with a certain snapshot and turn off when I go to the next snapshot? For instance, go to a special vocal effect within a passage of a song then when I get to the next segment, hit the next snapshot and have the mic be normal again. Is this possible?

Helix controls external effects via MIDI, but the Perform V uses a proprietary (not MIDI) TRS switching system. There are devices that can convert MIDI to TRS type signals. Someone here might have experience with the Perform and MIDI, but your best bet would be to ask over at the Helicon forum.

The higher end Helicon devices use MIDI, but are pricey. You might want to look at the BOSS/Roland vocal effects, they have some lower cost boxes that use MIDI.

6 hours ago, TheDarkKnight1 said:

Hi everyone,

I have had my Helix for a very short time and while I have been successful at programing what I need, I am very new to this and need a little advice. I want to pick up a TC Helicon Perform-V for my mic. I have read that I will be able to control external effects with the Helix. Since I am very new to the Helix and products of the sort, how do I go about setting up both units so that when I go to a preset, the Perform-V will be "triggered" to go on with a certain snapshot and turn off when I go to the next snapshot? For instance, go to a special vocal effect within a passage of a song then when I get to the next segment, hit the next snapshot and have the mic be normal again. Is this possible?

4 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Helix controls external effects via MIDI, but the Perform V uses a proprietary (not MIDI) TRS switching system. There are devices that can convert MIDI to TRS type signals. Someone here might have experience with the Perform and MIDI, but your best bet would be to ask over at the Helicon forum.

The higher end Helicon devices use MIDI, but are pricey. You might want to look at the BOSS/Roland vocal effects, they have some lower cost boxes that use MIDI.

I wonder if there a possibility the 'EXT Amp' output could be used to control the Perform V? Maybe just for limited switching operation.

6 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

I wonder if there a possibility the 'EXT Amp' output could be used to control the Perform V? Maybe just for limited switching operation.

Worth a try maybe, but the Helicon switch boxes are 3 and 6 switch units, so not sure how much functionality he'd get out of it. Since he hasn't bought it yet, I'm thinking he should look at MIDI controlled units first.