Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT forgets external expression pedal

mattihuu

The integrated expression on my LT pedal broke down. I already contacted my dealer and my LT is hopefully going to be repaired soon. In the meantime I bought a YAMAHA FC7 expression pedal to do the job. It works fine, I just had to switch the polarity. I have the EXP 2/ EXT AMP control set to EXP 2 in on every preset. But every time i switch a patch Helix forgets the external pedal. I have to go through the global menu and "refresh" the EXP 2/ EXT AMP setting to get it work. This is extremely annoying during a live setup. Could not figure a workaround for this.

Unless you changed it.... "Global > Preferences > EXP2/EXTAmp" defaults to EXP2... there should never be a reasons to mess around with that setting unless you need it to control your amps instead.

More importantly, what is "Global > EXP Pedals > EXP 2 Pedal Position" set to?

Based on your description, you should likely have that set to global. Every patch you go to will use the "current position" of the pedal, rather than a pre-defined value that needs a pedal refresh to break free from. 

Thank you for your comment codamedia. EXP 2 Pedal position is set "Per Snapshot". The problem here is not that the value is for example 0% , when using a certain snapshot or patch. I can't get any response from the exp 2 unless I tweak the EXP2/EXT amp setting. And it is EXP2 by default.

They will lose the pedal. I was wondering could this be related to inverted polarity of the pedal or a TRS plug... Well I am no expert. I tried also to keep the polarity setting normal. It did not make a difference.

EDIT: Also I noticed that when I unplug the external pedal, the integrated pedal switches to exp 2 and gives a normal response. When i plug the external back again, the Helix pedal switches back to exp 1, but the external doesn't give a response.

Solved: It seems that the stereo plug is not fully supported. I tested the EXT 2 input with my guitar and a standard mono plug. I guess I just need to get a new pedal with a mono plug.

EDIT: Line 6 recommends 10KOHM Pedal with a mono cable.

• Like 1