Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix to DT25 - is the signal hot?

waymda

Started using a DT25 with the Helix via Line6 link,

I tapping the patch before any speaker modelling but feel like the signal is hitting the DT25 too hot.  Its very very loud and seems to break up early (its not clipping).  I used the same patches with a PC+ in FRFR post speaker modelling and had no issues, even though I know the patches are hot - they would make the LED peak red if I used 6db gain for solo boosts at the end of the chain but never caused audible clipping.

My solution to date s a gain block dropping 12 to 16 db off the digital send.

Anyone with Helix to DT experience have any ideas?

The L6 Link connection to the DT25 doesn’t automatically bypass the DT25’s preamp. If your want to do that, you have to bypass it via MIDI. When the 2.8 firmware comes out, the preamp will be bypassed automatically.

So it’s not that signal over L6 Link is hot. It’s just that it’s being boosted through the DT’s preamp.

• Upvote 1

Even when I used DT edit to completely turn off all preamp stuff for the 'channel' I was using?  As in the knobs don't change anything for that voicing anymore.

Sorry probably should have mentioned that in the first post.

The L6 Link is digital, so reducing noise (maybe??) - and with the 2.8 release of the firmware will allow the DT series to be controlled form the Helix (without midi) - how uch it will control I don't know, but it'd be cool to switch to a proper class A power output for vox sims, for example.

Also, I plan to go Helix >> DT25 >> PowerCab+ (or PC+ first) to allow for auto stereo splitting, and use of the PC+ for FRFR for acoustic sounds and modelled speakers for electric - and maybe FRFR for funky ambient type stuff

1 hour ago, waymda said:

Even when I used DT edit to completely turn off all preamp stuff for the 'channel' I was using?  As in the knobs don't change anything for that voicing anymore.

Sorry probably should have mentioned that in the first post.

In that case, yeah, you’re going into the power amp. Although, there is also 12AX7 preamp tube in the DT25 that might be active. Is that turned on or off in DT Edit?

Are you using the full amp models in Helix or the Pre models? With the Powercab you’d want to use the full models, but with the DT25 you probably want to use the Pre models. You can use the full models, but they will be louder.

In any case, the gain staging through the DT25 is different than the Powercab. I also have both, and I haven’t thought the signal seems too hot going into the DT. But I also have separate presets for each one.

• Thanks 1

I haven't checked (or noticed) the pre-amp tube setting - will do.

I was using the full amp modes so will try pre's only - once 2.8 arrives so I can configure the power stage as well.  Though that might not go so well for my plan to use the PC+ with the DT25 and have speaker sims on the XLR outs and none on the dig outs.

We shall see.