Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
schapman1022

Help with noise (RFI?)

Recommended Posts

I am having an bit of an issue with noise/buzz in my home studio, but it is only when a guitar is plugged in. It also seems to be the worst when the AC or Heat is on in the house. It happens with all my guitars, both passive and active pickups. I bought a new Mogami Gold cable to make sure it wasn't my cables but the issue continues.

Here is my current set up:
Guitar > Line 6 Helix > Yamaha HS8's (Helix and HS8's are plugged into Livewire PC1100 Power Conditioner)

Everything is silent before a guitar is plugged into the input of the Helix or an amplifier.

I'm trying to figure out if the following products would help with the issue or not but I'm not sure what exactly this noise is... RFI, EMI, etc?

Noise Harvester - https://www.psaudio.com/products/noise-harvester/
Hum Eliminator HE-2 - http://www.ebtechaudio.com/hedes.html

Here are the sound clips:
AC on, no noise gate on Helix - https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsmme3n7lq...0Gate.mp3?dl=0
AC off, no noise gate on Helix - https://www.dropbox.com/s/gk59dcrim4...0Gate.mp3?dl=0

Each of these is me changing channels from Clean, OD, Rhythm and Lead. Each change happens after about 10 seconds.

There is noise in both but with the AC off sounds a little more like a normal hiss of an amp but I could be wrong. Any ideas what is causing this issue or how to fix?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to diagnose remotely.
From the stomach I suspect rather problems with the grounding or installation of the house or interferences of devices like fluorescent lamps, TV monitors etc..
Try another active box. Bypass the Power Conditioner.
Try setting up your equipment at another place in your house. 
If you have a good friend, ask him if you can try your equipment in his apartment. 
Maybe you can at least narrow down whether it's your equipment or your environmental conditions.

 

Good luck!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you using the USB connection to a computer?  If you are this can create another ground path.  If you are using a USB connection un-plug it and see if the noise changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, schuha_at said:

Hard to diagnose remotely.
From the stomach I suspect rather problems with the grounding or installation of the house or interferences of devices like fluorescent lamps, TV monitors etc..
Try another active box. Bypass the Power Conditioner.
Try setting up your equipment at another place in your house. 
If you have a good friend, ask him if you can try your equipment in his apartment. 
Maybe you can at least narrow down whether it's your equipment or your environmental conditions.

 

Good luck!

Got the Hum Eliminator HE-2 in the mail today... didn't help.  Moving the equipment to the opposite side of the house seemed to help some.  Really seems to just be an issue with the AC, heat or now noticing the washer and dryer are on.  The guitars are really picking up some sort of interference in the air.  I'm going to be trying at my buddies house this weekend where I have used before... I know it's something here at home though cause it was never an issue at his place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Are you using the USB connection to a computer?  If you are this can create another ground path.  If you are using a USB connection un-plug it and see if the noise changes.

It's the same with or without the USB connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, schapman1022 said:

I know it's something here at home though cause it was never an issue at his place.

Now one step has been taken. 
For the solution you should hire a specialist. It should at least be ensured that personal protection is guaranteed with your installation.
One consolation could be that you probably don't have these problems with a GIG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same sort of issue when I was running the Helix alongside a Mission Engineering Gemini 1. It was ridiculously noisy/buzzy no matter what I tried. 

 

The solution i came up with was a Furman power conditioner (I think it was this guy: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PL8C--furman-pl-8c-15a). 

 

Maybe give something like that a try?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jshimkoski said:

I had the same sort of issue when I was running the Helix alongside a Mission Engineering Gemini 1. It was ridiculously noisy/buzzy no matter what I tried. 

 

The solution i came up with was a Furman power conditioner (I think it was this guy: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PL8C--furman-pl-8c-15a). 

 

Maybe give something like that a try?

I have a Livewire PC1100 but maybe it just isn't cutting it..

 

Was it a buzz that happened without a guitar plugged in or was it a buzz that changed as you moved and turned your guitar around the room?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a buzz that happened when I would just turn the Helix and the Gemini 1 on. 

 

The power conditioner solved the issue issue for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jshimkoski said:

It was a buzz that happened when I would just turn the Helix and the Gemini 1 on. 

 

The power conditioner solved the issue issue for me. 

Thanks..not sure that will work for me here. Everything is quiet on my end until a guitar is plugged in and then the noise changes as the guitar moves and is pointed in different directions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×