Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp First Impression (Grumpy Old Sound Guy Perspective)

deltonfoster

Second post here on the forums, I played my first gig with just the HX stomp, wow! Well, I did have my API Tranzformer EQ /comp and my trusty Shure GLX-D16 wireless. 

I am a sound engineer for a living: touring, local, corporate, etc. Mixed a lot of shows with Line 6 gear that sounded less than great, PODs and other things that I'm not sure of the name... probably more to do with user error than anything I guess, but I have to say that all my past experiences with Line 6 products have been bad! I guess now I see what all the fuss was about! They had to drag me kicking and screaming into the digital world in terms of sound, and now guitar! I wanted to buy a Kemper, mixed a lot of shows with those over the years, and they always sounded great, I just didn't want to spend that much. I work at a church on Sundays and the guitar player came in using the HX stomp, so I had a chance to place it in the mix. That's usually where I have issues, a good amp will just sit right, after he dialed in the HX it sounded great! I didn't have any experience with the  Helix line so I assumed Line 6 / yikes.  

My band is playing more covers now and mixing in our original material, so I needed something to switch up quickly - all the normal shenanigans that happen in a cover band I guess. I would normally play either my Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini, Morgan Abbey C, or Tone King Gremlin depending on how I was feeling. I was able to create patches that sound great with very convincing recreations of my various amp setups, and of course, beyond - the flexibility is just insane! 

Well done Line 6!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

If you thought the Stomp was great, wait till you see what the full floor or LT is capable of!!!  This coming from another Grumpy Old Sound Guy that's been sitting mixing consoles since the 70's.  The accuracy, detail and precision over the sound you're sending to the mixer is nothing short of revolutionary.  Especially if you're coming from a perspective of a sound guy who knows all the ins and outs of crafting the sound.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Well, one of the lead firmware engineers on Team Helix/HX is a grumpy sound guy (ran FOH for Animals as Leaders on their recent tour). He's not old tho'.

Hats off to Team Helix! 

Finding a really good sound guy is almost like finding a whole bag of money that just fell off the armored truck. Very RARE. I was fortunate to know a couple of them in my 30+ years of playing out.

• Like 1