Sign in to follow this  
tarbuckt

UK Standard Users - Adjusting Action?

Hi all,

I've got a Variax Standard, and while I love it, I need to lower the action on it a bit.

I've read somewhere that I need a 1.25mm Hex Key to adjust the action, but I'm struggling to find where to get one in the UK.

Anybody any ideas? :)

Thanks,

Tom

Any hardware store...

However, raising or lowering the action is done primarily at the bridge saddles, not with the truss rod....that's for adjusting the amount of relief in the neck. While relief will affect the action to a degree, if the action is extremely high (or low), it's unlikely that adjusting the truss rod alone will be a sufficient fix, and it's also entirely possible that it doesn't need the relief adjusted at all. If you're not familiar with doing set-ups, I'd suggest taking it to any competent local tech/luthier, and let them do it. Truss rod adjustments need to be done in tiny increments, and over-tightening in an attempt to lower the action is not good. It's easy to damage things if you're not careful.

I've dinked around doing my own set-ups for some time .... it takes a lot of careful practice, some basic guitar set-up tools, and a book/videos. Its a good skill to learn if you have the time and patience. Recently, though, I took my Variax Standard into a local guy who has the best reputation around and he did an absolutely killer job for $60. The guitar never played better.