Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ideas For Simplest Way To Get Mono Out On Xlr

zaboomafoo

I am running my HD500 direct into PA by taking one of the 1/4 outputs through a DI. I also take paralel out from the DI into an amp for the stage monitoring only. This all works fine (even though I am using the cheapest behringer DI for this).

I would like to eliminate DI to simplify the setup and use XLR outs for directo to PA. Now the question - what is the simplest way to get mono out on XLR? I know some of the options: add a mono effect in the last FX slot, add FX loop in the last FX slot. Any other ideas?

I was thinking to try with FX loop in the last slot and then simply short the FX loop out back into FX return using a short mono cable. Would that work? I guess I would have to play with the FX loop's levels to set the unity gain.

Thanks,

zbf

Have you considered panning the mixer block on the HD500 to center on both left and right? I used this config many times over the years but I only ever have a mono signel path anyway.

Actually a little more information about your signel path would be useful - for instance are you using duel amps, stereo FX etc....

• Upvote 1

Have you considered panning the mixer block on the HD500 to center on both left and right? I used this config many times over the years but I only ever have a mono signel path anyway.

Actually a little more information about your signel path would be useful - for instance are you using duel amps, stereo FX etc....

I know I can center everything in the mixer. However if there are any effects in the chain after the mixer they might turn signal back into stereo. Ping-pong was an extreme example (never used it really), however even some reverbs or modulation FX at the end of chain might again create stereo image. Summing both L-R together is safe way to get compete signal. 1/4 outs are implemented that way, XLRs unfortunately are not.

Adding shorted out FX loop at the end of chain would force everything back to mono.

My signal path is fairly simple. I am rarely using dual amps, and if I use them they are centered inthe mixer.  FX I mostly use are reverbs at the end of the chain, maybe some simple tape echo or delay in front of the reverb if song needs it (I play covers).

zbf

The mixer pans are exactly that. Pan Controls. Each path is actually stereo...Dead simple approach is to use a passive combiner like this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CBICOMBINER

A tiny little two channel mic mixer would be an active way to do it. A passive combiner will generally have something like a -3db gain loss because resistors are used to isolate the line driver amplifiers so they sum without the amplifiers fighting each other...If you want complete control you could pick up a little two channel mic mixer for about the same $...Perhaps slightly better sonic results with no gain loss...you could even make the signal hotter if needed...

Something like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/802/

Unless you are using the extreme stereo effects, like Ping-Pong delay, a stereo effect should not have any drastic affect on the sound coming out of the XLR's if everything before that is mono or panned center.  I've used a single XLR into the board for years with good results.  If you are feeding the same exact signal into both sides of a "stereo" effect, the results should still be mono, or close enough to it.  The thing to avoid is effects that "shimmer" between L & R channels.