Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix update 2.71 to 2.81 failed

HansHelix

During my helix update from 2.71 to 2.81 a failure occured:

I did a back on Helix Edit.

Then I updated Line 6 Updater and probably forgot to update Helix Edit.

Then I started the update from 2.71 to 2.81.

The announced break at the middle of the update lasted for 14 hours. Thats why I turned everything off.

Now the Helix edit doesn`t recognize the Helix. The Helix shows: "Boot failure, Entered Update Mode.

How can I stop the Helix showing "Boot failure................"?

What can I do now?

1 hour ago, HansHelix said:

The announced break at the middle of the update lasted for 14 hours. Thats why I turned everything off.

Now the Helix edit doesn`t recognize the Helix. The Helix shows: "Boot failure, Entered Update Mode.

What can I do now?

Hi,

The information regarding updating to the latest firmware is very well documented here:

If you failed to read the installation instructions where it states that you should make a back up with your existing version of HX Edit.

Then it continues with:

STEP 2—Updating HX Edit to 2.81 (YOU MUST DO THIS BEFORE UPDATING YOUR HELIX/HX FIRMWARE!)

If you did not do this, then there is no one else to blame but yourself!

You now find that you need help to fix this situation, but you again FAIL to tell us what Computer and OS you are trying to perform the update with.

THS IS IMPORTANT AND REQUIRED INFORMATION IF YOU ARE TO FIX THIS PROBLEM!

I will guess from the mention of the "Boot Failure" lasting so very long is because you also didn't bother to read this:

"halfway through the update process, Line 6 Updater displays a second dialog and Helix's LCD reads "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" THIS IS NORMAL. DO NOT FREAK OUT, TAKE A PHOTO, AND THEN POST IT ONLINE BECAUSE EVERYONE WILL MAKE FUN OF YOU FOR NOT READING THESE INSTRUCTIONS."

I will also guess because of this "Boot Failure" message, that you are using a Windows PC.

Therefore, to save having to type all this info again I have cut and paste this from one of the other hundreds of appeals for help that are already on here for anyone to find.

You seem to be a little late to this “event” and one of the clues seems to be the drivers on Windows PCs seem to have been a large part of the issue.

Some threads which may contain helpful work arounds for the driver thing.

https://line6.com/support/topic/48446-28-update-stuck-in-boot-failure-entered-update-mode/

https://line6.com/support/topic/48526-helix-lt-28-update-frozen/

https://line6.com/support/topic/48466-helix-lt-failed-while-updating-28/

https://line6.com/support/topic/48425-installed-28-helix-rack-bricked-cant-roll-back-boot-mode-does-fail/

I’m not a Windows mechanic so this is the best I can offer, although this place has been alive with this stuff.

Hope this helps

Good Luck!

• Upvote 1

When that “boot failure. Enter update mode” appears during the update process, you are supposed to hit “ok” on the message in the line 6 updater software on your computer.    I left mine running and walked away, only to come back and nothing had changed.   As soon as I hit “ok”, the update continued.  

I believe even if you forgot to update your software first to 2.81 and then it hangs on the firmware install, (like it did for me) just go back and install the software 2.81 and the updater together, then rerun the firmware updater. Note, it may have also updated drivers at this time as it asked me multiple times if I wanted to install some Yamaha drivers or some such....That's what I just did and it appears to be starting the firmware updated fresh now.....was worried for a while that i messed it up.......

19 hours ago, HansHelix said:

What can I do now?

No panic. Uninstall Helix Edit 2.71 and just install Helix Edit 2.81(mark all drivers during the installation process).

Turn on the Helix and start the update again.

...if you are still having problems try another USB port or annother computer

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

It seems to me that you didn`t quite catch my problem. But meanwhile I solved it. Here is the solution:

I had to hold the button No 6 and 12 down, that is the both right buttons, while turning the helix on. Then the helix goes to the boot modus and the update can start.

So you see: overbearing artful dodgerness doesn`t help, but knowledge.

Have a nice day and note down

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, HansHelix said:

Hi folks,

It seems to me that you didn`t quite catch my problem. But meanwhile I solved it. Here is the solution:

I had to hold the button No 6 and 12 down, that is the both right buttons, while turning the helix on. Then the helix goes to the boot modus and the update can start.

So you see: overbearing artful dodgerness doesn`t help, but knowledge.

Have a nice day and note down

Your right, you can enter update mode manually by holding footswitches 6 + 12. Sorry, no one mentioned that in this topic.

But because you wrote: "probably forgot to update Helix Edit / The Helix shows: Boot failure, Entered Update Mode" updating HXEdit was the obvious solution.

There was no feedback from your side, so nobody could further narrow down the problem. ...so please do not complain ;)

But good that it works now.