Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there a way to control Pitch Shift or Smart Harmonizer exactly using MIDI pitch data?

tjbassoon

I also use a TC Helicon Voicelive 3, which lets you use a MIDI keyboard to control the harmony aspect of the vocal processor. You can either have it just detect the general harmony and have it decide on the pitches based on the input pitch the vocal is singing, or the MIDI can control the harmony exactly (sort of like a vocoder) where if you play C4 on the MIDI keyboard that is the harmony note produced by the pedal, regardless of the pitch input.

Is there any similar feature in the Helix? I really doubt it but it would be a KILLER feature for me if possible. The implementation I would think, would be on the Dual Pitch to set the interval 1 and interval 2 setting to "MIDI" and that controls the harmony (two voice maximum I guess, which is kinda small but doable).

Hi!

You can control footswitches, expression pedals, snapshots and presets via MIDI.

If you intend to use the pitch shifter and harmonizer in the helix for voice I don't think you'll get good results. But never tried it.

For guitar you can get good sounds with the pitch shifter if you don' go to extremes. Not convinced with the harmonizer.

For your application, voice or guitar, maybe you can assign the each voice to one footswitch in momentary mode and engage the midi when you need it, through a DAW, keyboard or some other way. In the harmonizer mode as long as you pick the correct scale you shouldn't have to program anything but the sound is not as good as the pitch blocks. With the pitch shifter you would have to program the intervals via snapshots. Can't be done via MIDI.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

Agreed - Helix's harmonizer is decent on guitar. Not so good  on vocals. There is a 2 voice max per block, but you can use more than one block (use a Y split and then merge or it gets really weird really quick). I've set up 4 harmonized parts before, but you get more artifacts the further you shift, so I like to keep it to 3rds & 4ths. If you needn't hear the part clearly you can add in further shifts and turn the level down a bit, EQ it, chorus it, etc. 

You can set up a momentary footswitch on the block so that when it's open the pitch shifts a diatonic third but when pressed is a perfect fourth. This can solve the usual "twin guitar" issue where the line is mostly parallel thirds but occasionally a fourth to fit the underlying chord. Not automatic, but pretty cool.