Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench HD crashes when writing back preset to Variax

Hi, I have my Variax JTV 69 LPB connected to a POD X3 Live and then via USB to the Windows 8 laptop. The Workbench HD software works and allows me to play around with the pickup settings etc. but then as soon as I try to permanently write the preset back to my Variax the Workbench crashes . It also crashes in the same way if I select a different guitar body from the caroussel or the drop down list.  I am using all latest drivers and firmware (used Line 6 Monkey to update everything). 

Is the POD X3 not 100% compatible with the Workbench HD software and Variax USB connection. Do I need to buy an Variax VDI USB interface to get it working?

I hope someone (or staff) can help me to solve this issue.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, voodoochile1970 said:

Is the POD X3 not 100% compatible with the Workbench HD software and Variax USB connection. Do I need to buy an Variax VDI USB interface to get it working?

Yes. I believe you have hit the nail on the head.

1 minute ago, silverhead said:

Yes. I believe you have hit the nail on the head.

Thanks, did you have the same problem? Because I am happy to but the interface if it solves the problem. The strange thing is that I was able to update  firmware of the Variax alll via the POD X3 (connected through USB with the laptop).

Hmmm... I guess you should wait for other opinions on this. I'm not 100% sure. I'm surprised that you were able to update JTV firmware using the X3. But it's been a while and my knowledge and/or memory may be faulty.

My understanding is that the JTV series is only backwards compatible as far as the POD HD500X in terms of supporting Workbench HD as an interface device. Prior devices can work to some degree but are not fully compatible and not supported.

10 minutes ago, silverhead said:

Hmmm... I guess you should wait for other opinions on this. I'm not 100% sure. I'm surprised that you were able to update JTV firmware using the X3. But it's been a while and my knowledge and/or memory may be faulty.

My understanding is that the JTV series is only backwards compatible as far as the POD HD500X in terms of supporting Workbench HD as an interface device. Prior devices can work to some degree but are not fully compatible and not supported.

Ok, thanks again. I found thethread below where the POD X3 is mentioned for flashing firmware.....which indeed worked.

I also found a thread with some having the same issue as I have with the workbench. I can see all presets of the Variax since they are downloaded correctly. But writing things back to the guitar makes the software crash. 

2 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

X3 Live is pre HD.

To make use of Workbench HD, the guitar has to be Flash v2.00 or higher.

And you should use the VDI to USB interface kit for that.

Ok, thanks. I flashed everything to the latest versions. (The guitar even through the POD X3). Did you have the same issue?

• 2 weeks later...

I found a remark in the release notes of the Workbench software. It does not work properly with the X3 or older.

On 10/4/2019 at 5:50 PM, psarkissian said:

X3 Live is pre HD.

To make use of Workbench HD, the guitar has to be Flash v2.00 or higher.

And you should use the VDI to USB interface kit for that.

Ok, thanks. I flashed everything to the latest versions. (The guitar even through the POD X3). Did you have the same issue?