Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rotary substitutions

doctorvague

After gigging with my Helix floor a few months, I'm pretty happy with it. The rotary sounds though, I think are horrible. Have any of you come up with some alternatives using other effects? I have one preset that uses the Bubble Vibrato as a pseudo-fast-rotary effect that, while it's not a rotary sound, it serves that function better musically better than the stock ones. IOW, I'm looking for some modulation that works musically like a rotary even if it's not an accurate rendition. Also, I'm mostly talking here about a fast rotary sound.

A rotary is level modulation ... therefore you could look at some tremolo options. 

The harmonic tremolo provides some needed options... such as waveform choice (sine or triangle is better than square in this case) and bass/treb frequency. For a reasonably accurate rotary you want the highs to be effected, while the lows stay relatively unscathed.

The basic "tremolo" may also work (it also has waveform choice), but to avoid effecting the lows you will have to place it in a parallel path and set the split to a "split crossover" and only send the high end to the effect. 

I've had reasonably good luck with the rotary cab models in Helix. I do run them in parallel with the speaker model/IR, and do carefully blend the two. The rotary models in Helix are generally intended to run in the front of an amp, with a guitar level input. So if you have them after the amp, make sure you're not hitting them too hard (keeping all blocks near unity gain is a good practice) or adjust the headroom parameter. These rotary models also have some speaker simulation EQ applied, so you generally don't want to run them in series with a cab or speaker IR model as that will put speaker into speaker. Run them in parallel instead.

• Like 1