Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native and OSX / Logic

BRISTOL86

Hello All

I used to own an LT but sold it when I fell away from playing guitar. I am now getting back in the game and have purchased Native and a set of monitor speakers to get me up and running again. 

I’m using an iMac and had a couple of questions 

- Is there any way to get Native running without loading up a DAW? It would be great to be able to launch it as a standalone programme but I’m guessing that’s not possible? 

- Assuming the answer to the above is ‘no’, what’s the quickest way to get things up and running each time?

I’m using logic, I presume I can define an empty project with a single guitar track and Native pre loaded as the Audio FX as a ‘default’ template I can load each time Logic starts?

Thanks in advance for any tips. 

There are plenty of "plug-in hosts" that run on Mac that will allow you to run Native without a DAW. Examples are Hosting AU, GigPerformer, Soundsource, LiveProfessor. Some are free; full featured hosts for gigging are around $150.

And, yeah, with Logic you can create a Project that has a channel with Native as a plug-in. Name it, save it, and it will launch quickly whenever you need it.

If you want to control Helix Native with hardware (footswitches and pedals), you'll need to do some more work, and the way it is done varies between plug-in hosts.

Thanks. I’ll look into some of the free hosts but to be honest it sounds as if doing as you say with a blank project in Logic will be just as quick as any other solution! 

It’d be good to see it offered as a standalone program in future though. I imagine there’s a fair chunk of people that don’t need a fully fledged DAW and just want Native as a home/practice solution. 

I'm surprised that Native doesn't run as a standalone app. My other amp sim, S-Gear, does. As long as you own Logic, though, you might as well just launch it and use it. When you're jamming out and find a riff you love, you can just hit the record button. Another plus is that you can use some tracks for drums and bass for jamming.

2 hours ago, soundog said:

I'm surprised that Native doesn't run as a standalone app. My other amp sim, S-Gear, does. As long as you own Logic, though, you might as well just launch it and use it. When you're jamming out and find a riff you love, you can just hit the record button. Another plus is that you can use some tracks for drums and bass for jamming.

Yes I was surprised it didn’t. I assumed it’d be an application much like HX Edit - not sure why they’re not one and the same to be honest, and just have it as a requirement that it can only be used when not connected to Helix hardware or a valid Native licence is in place. 

But like you say - upsides to being in a DAW too!

I use MainStage.

I thought mainstage came with Logic?

I'm sure that's where I got it.

It's very useful because you have other tools like EQ to replace the Helix global EQ which you are going to need to get a good sound through your speakers.

And you could use a midi pedal board through MainStage

10 hours ago, rvroberts said:

I use MainStage.

I thought mainstage came with Logic?

MainStage doesn't come with Logic anymore, it's now a separate purchase from the App Store. It's just around 30 bucks and might absolutely be worth it in case you're planning to use Helix Native live as it allows for several switching options.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

I have downloaded Helix Native on my Mac. It installed successfully to the default locations. I have now downloaded AU Lab. 

I have no clue as to how to go about using the two programs together. Within AU Lab, I see nothing that's called Helix Native. I see no way to navigate to the "Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Helix Native.component" location at which the AU portion of Helix Native has been installed. 

I have not yet hooked up my USB audio interface to this old laptop; do I need to do this first? 

The reason I'm trying out this software is because I might buy the HX Stomp during the current sale if I like the sounds. And Helix Native seems like a great addition to the device's capabilities. 

Can anybody help? 

AU Lab can be a bit buggy. MainStage is a good option, as is Logic Pro. Reaper is a lighter weight DAW that works well for creating a digital mixer using Helix Native. The advantage of a DAW is you're ready to record any ideas, and can easily play along with loops. 

To simplify MIDI control of Helix Native with Logic Pro, use two tracks, an audio track for the dry guitar and a software instrument track to record the MIDI foot switches. Put Helix Native as an AU MIDI-Controlled effects plugin in the instrument slot of the software instrument track. use a bus send set to pre-fader in the dry guitar track to send the audio to a bus. Set the output of this track to no output so you don't hear the dry guitar. Set the side chain of the Helix Native plugin to the bus used for the dry guitar. Now when you monitor, your guitar is sent into Helix Native through the side-chain, and you can directly map MIDI messages to Helix Native parameters, no need to use complex Logic controller assignments and limited automation parameters. When you record, you record the dry guitar audio on one track and the MIDI foot switches on the software instrument track. 

This works great for monitoring, recording and playback. My only caution is to avoid using the Logic Drum Kit Designer in a track. There appears to be a bug where this causes additional latency when using side-chains into plugins. Use UltraBeat instead.