Jump to content
guitarbloke1980

HX Stomp for Effects Only?

Recommended Posts

So after a good 8 months or so of trying and tweaking, and tweaking and trying, without any real success I’m finally on the cusp of going back to using my amp for my main sound and ditching the modelling altogether.

 

I was thinking of sticking it into my amp’s effects loop and just having the following blocks:

 

  • Reverb
  • Delay
  • Chorus
  • Boost (to give me a volume jump for solos)

 

Is it as simple as that?  Or would I need to do something else to configure it for use in the amp’s loop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be as simple as that. The one thing you may want to check is the level of your amps loop, then set the Stomp I/O appropriately. Some amps are instrument level loops, some are line level. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Global Settings>Ins/Outs set Return type to RETURN.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

In Global Settings>Ins/Outs set Return type to RETURN.

 

Stupid question time - I wasn't planning on using the Send or Return on the HX Stomp - I was thinking I could that the Stomp's Output would go to the Amp's Send, and the Stomp's Input would go to the Amp Return.  Have I got that totally wrong? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, guitarbloke1980 said:

 

Stupid question time - I wasn't planning on using the Send or Return on the HX Stomp - I was thinking I could that the Stomp's Output would go to the Amp's Send, and the Stomp's Input would go to the Amp Return.  Have I got that totally wrong? 

 

 

 

To put the Stomp in the amp's loop, you  connect the amp's FX Loop SEND to the Stomp's FX Return (using a mono cable to LEFT/MONO) ,  then send the Stomp's signal to the amp's FX Loop Return via the 1/4" LEFT/MONO Out (you can also use a SEND Block, but that wastes a block). You set the Stomp's INPUT Block to RETURN L/R and connect the Stomp's LeftMono Out to the amp's Fx Loop Return. Be sure to set the "Output Level" and "Send/Return L" in Global Settings INS/OUTS to match the amp's FX Loop Level - INSTRUMENT or LINE (-10dBV for stompboxes or +4dBV for Rack/studio grade units). You won't blow anything up by trying both, just keep your Volume knob turned down while doing it - especially if you're using headphones!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, guitarbloke1980 said:

 

Stupid question time - I wasn't planning on using the Send or Return on the HX Stomp - I was thinking I could that the Stomp's Output would go to the Amp's Send, and the Stomp's Input would go to the Amp Return.  Have I got that totally wrong? 

 

 

If you want to just use your stomp for effects in your amp loop, the amp's FX send goes to stomp in, the stomp out goes to the amp's FX return.

 

You can add some more flexibility with additional cables, but nothing wrong with KISS.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, rd2rk said:

 

To put the Stomp in the amp's loop, you  connect the amp's FX Loop SEND to the Stomp's FX Return (using a mono cable to LEFT/MONO) ,  then send the Stomp's signal to the amp's FX Loop Return via the 1/4" LEFT/MONO Out (you can also use a SEND Block, but that wastes a block). You set the Stomp's INPUT Block to RETURN L/R and connect the Stomp's LeftMono Out to the amp's Fx Loop Return. Be sure to set the "Output Level" and "Send/Return L" in Global Settings INS/OUTS to match the amp's FX Loop Level - INSTRUMENT or LINE (-10dBV for stompboxes or +4dBV for Rack/studio grade units). You won't blow anything up by trying both, just keep your Volume knob turned down while doing it - especially if you're using headphones!

 

Aaah now I feel pretty dumb LOL  Thank you so much for this info!! :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×