Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Chasing a p/u selector switch short on a modded JTV-69

Hey all - 

Does a magnetic pickup setting short that doesn't appear to exist in the same position using Variax (instead of magnetics) generally mean there's a wiring problem on the magnetic side? 
Or does that generally mean the 5 way switch is faulty? Not seeking a concrete answer - more like a "What are the chances of A versus B?"

Background

I have a JTV-69 with JBE pickups in it, and at a gig last weekend the middle pickup (when playing magnetics) crapped out.
Was able to get sound via the piezo/Variax with the switch in the 2, 3 and 4 spots, but I know the switch doesn't behave like a normal 5 way so I don't know what, if anything, that means.

Before I go through the production of taking everything apart, would like to know the odds that it's a wiring problem versus a switch problem - reason being the PCB replacement parts are on back order at Full Compass. If it's likely to be wiring, I'll just try to chase the short with my multimeter, but if it's likely to be a switch issue, then I'll wait until I get the replacement parts from Full Compass.

The pickups were fine for years; the only thing I can think of is that the gig I played at was outdoors and it was a chilly (40-50 F) day, so maybe the failure was weather-related.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 11:34 AM, psarkissian said:

Something intermittent in the 5-Way switch. Contact cleaner won't fix it.

Will need a service center trip.

Thanks, @psarkissian. Is there another source for the part other than FullCompass? I ordered there a couple of weeks ago but they still show it on backorder.

Doesn't help me if I bring it to a service center and they can't obtain the part. If I can bring it in with one I can expedite the repair and get the unit back onstage with me.

Back-ordered,... hmmm,.... read trade journals about how a number of countries are up-ing their RoHS requirements to the third revision level.

So I would think Customs Enforcement is creating a bottleneck in the flow. Then there's the Tariff Tiff with China not helping much either.

Old African saying,... When two elephants fight, the grass under their feet suffers.

Check with Customer Support through the ticketing system through your account.

Getting a Return authorization to send it to me with a note in your account to expedite the repair might be an option,... check with Customer Support on that when you log a Support Ticket. And I have my own stash of parts for doing repairs with, so there won't be any waiting time in that regard.

Best not to do this yourself, as there can be pitfalls wiring this up. Has to be done correctly or it can create even more problems.

These are not the usual passive circuit guitars that everyone is used to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Back-ordered,... hmmm,.... read trade journals about how a number of countries are up-ing their RoHS requirements to the third revision level.

So I would think Customs Enforcement is creating a bottleneck in the flow. Then there's the Tariff Tiff with China not helping much either.

Old African saying,... When two elephants fight, the grass under their feet suffers.

Check with Customer Support through the ticketing system through your account.

Getting a Return authorization to send it to me with a note in your account to expedite the repair might be an option,... check with Customer Support on that when you log a Support Ticket. And I have my own stash of parts for doing repairs with, so there won't be any waiting time in that regard.

Best not to do this yourself, as there can be pitfalls wiring this up. Has to be done correctly or it can create even more problems.

These are not the usual passive circuit guitars that everyone is used to.

Thanks - majorly appreciated.