Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Left Handed Custom Variax ??

Why not just offer a left handed Variax under the custom order banner.. I can't imagine it being that difficult for a larger corporation to achieve this. Isn't it Yamaha that builds the Variax?

For lefties it makes the most sense to cater to us since finding specific guitars in left hand is nearly impossible. ....and that makes the Variax an awesome choice and gives us the variety we would love to have

1 hour ago, SammyEVH55 said:

Why not just offer a left handed Variax under the custom order banner.. I can't imagine it being that difficult for a larger corporation to achieve this. Isn't it Yamaha that builds the Variax?

For lefties it makes the most sense to cater to us since finding specific guitars in left hand is nearly impossible. ....and that makes the Variax an awesome choice and gives us the variety we would love to have

Difficult? Probably not. Cost effective, or anything that even approaches "lucrative"? Almost certainly not.... and that's why it's not gonna happen. I sympathize with ya, but this has been a gripe for years. The JTV line is nearly a decade old at this point, and the Standards have the same guts. If there was gonna be a lefty version, it would have happened years ago. It's about numbers, nothing else.

" ... left handed Variax under the custom order banner. "--- 1) It would be US built, and if you've seen what those go for, then that would give you an idea.

2) Re-routing wiring and custom cable lengths would complicate things. These are not symmetrical bodies like a Gibson SG, where going right or left would be less complicated.

" Isn't it Yamaha that builds the Variax? "--- No, just the Variax Standard (the Pacifica looking one). JTV and Shuriken models are built elsewhere.

" ... it would have happened years ago. "--- It did. The Variax 500 Electric had a lefty version.

Having done some custom jobs (including lefty conversions for Carlos Rios) as a favour for the top people here, as a favour for artist endorsers like Carlos Rios,

a lefty conversion is a whole other kettle of fish. Do'able, but not as easy as you might think. And unfortunately, we don't have a custom shop.

16 hours ago, psarkissian said:

" ... it would have happened years ago. "--- It did. The Variax 500 Electric had a lefty version.

Ugh...I said if there was gonna be a lefty version of the CURRENT models, then we would have seen it already. Cherry-picking half a sentence, absent any sort of relevant context, and then going on reference a product that came and went more than 15 years ago, accomplishes what exactly?

would that version of the variax have been launched prior to the Helix Floor ? . And how compatible is it with the Floor unit?

I for one did not have any interest in the older Line 6 products, however I now own the Helix Floor and have been using it in a W/D/W setup. The versatility of this unit would only be enhanced by utilizing it to the fullest which should include the variax...  Wouldn't this be the best time to release a new version of the lefty that offers all of the new options . IMO :)

48 minutes ago, SammyEVH55 said:

would that version of the variax have been launched prior to the Helix Floor ?

Waaaaay prior... the 500's have been gone for 15 years, or more. Given that finding a used one at this point would be a Herculean task, why he even bothered to bring it up is a complete mystery.

And how compatible is it with the Floor unit?

Anecdotal evidence from other threads I've seen have indicated that some things will work and some won't. You might get some insight if you poke around, or wait for someone who still owns a 500 and a Helix to chime in.