Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2013 HD500X

timvz01

I bought a used HD500X, and quickly found out it was manufactured back in 2013.  I'm wondering if there are any hardware differences between then and now.  When I download patches, they never sound anything like what the creator recorded.  Of course, it could be because I have a much different guitar (Taylor T5z).  If there's no hardware difference, and I'm up to date with my firmware and amp models, then I must surmise that it's simply my guitar.  Thanks in advance!

musical instruments/gear/technology is always behind the times. It is also slow moving and long lasting. 

Gear is not cars, nor is it even iPhones. 

There is no difference between the ones built in 2013 and the ones built today. 

In fact.,.. funny story..... 

there is only a slight difference between the ones made in 2010 and the ones built today. 

That "slight" difference is the reason why some units are named with an X in their name. (ie, HD500 vs HD500x)

And it wasn't a planned change. It goes back to what I first said - music tech is slow moving. In this case, so slow moving, the manufacturer of one of the parts quit making the part. So L6 had to get a more modern part to use in the unit. 

Funny story #2 

Do you know why musical instruments no longer use floppy disks? 

NO ONE USES FLOPPY DISKS ANYMORE. 

No, seriously. That is why. MIDI tech is so small, that the floppy disk was all that was needed. It was used up until Microsoft and Dell got together and stopped putting floppy drives as standard equipment in computers. 

Sure, if you wanted to use wave tech (such as MP3), you weren't using a a floppy. So, sure, other devices were using USB and CD. But floppy was the "norm". 

I mean, even the L6 patches weigh in at a whopping 5kb. A floppy disc could hold a lot of L6 patches. 

Downloaded patches will not sound the same for you.  Most of this depends on what speakers and amp you're playing through plus the guitar itself.  Play an .MP3 through your computer speakers then play it through a guitar combo amp.  It will sound very different.