Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.1 Speaker Solution for PC & Helix Simultaneously

davy2266

Greetings all. First post, but have referenced the info here quite a bit in the last 1.5 years since I got a Helix.

Is there a good solution for a 2 speaker plus subwoofer setup to use as main home Helix monitors and main PC speakers? I don't want to add an interface and it needs to be able to output audio from both simultaneously for jamming along.

I'm looking for $500 or less solution and considered JBL 305p / LSR310s setup to give you an idea of what I had in mind, but without an interface, those won't do the job. The goal is a simple high quality speaker solution that seamlessly handles the PC and Helix together and independently, so I don't want to simply route my PC audio thru my Helix (or vice versa) at all times.

Thanks in advance.

I don't see how you can do this without another interface. Maybe someone more computer savy will correct me.

I bought a $100 interface because I didn't want to have my Helix always on. I run both the helix and the interface into a $25 small mixer ( https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Audio-Switcher-Selector-Splitter/dp/B07CKK7J2L/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) and then out to my JBL monitors. You can't use both at the same time, so just use the Helix interface when you want to play through the Helix and listen to your computer.

15 hours ago, davy2266 said:

Greetings all. First post, but have referenced the info here quite a bit in the last 1.5 years since I got a Helix.

Is there a good solution for a 2 speaker plus subwoofer setup to use as main home Helix monitors and main PC speakers? I don't want to add an interface and it needs to be able to output audio from both simultaneously for jamming along.

I'm looking for $500 or less solution and considered JBL 305p / LSR310s setup to give you an idea of what I had in mind, but without an interface, those won't do the job. The goal is a simple high quality speaker solution that seamlessly handles the PC and Helix together and independently, so I don't want to simply route my PC audio thru my Helix (or vice versa) at all times.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure I understand. From the 310S manual:

"LSR310S POWERED STUDIO SUBWOOFER CONNECTIONS The left and right outputs of the signal source should be connected directly to the LEFT IN and RIGHT IN connectors of the subwoofer. The LEFT OUT and RIGHT OUT connectors of the subwoofer should be connected to the inputs of the left and right speakers respectively "

The "Signal Source" is your Helix. Why would you need a separate Audio Interface?

To jam along with YT, Spotify or any other streaming audio from the computer, set the computers audio output (Sound Panel/ Playback in Windows) to the Helix, and in Global Settings>Ins/Outs make sure that USB 1/2 Destination is set to whichever outputs (XLR or 1/4") you've got connected to your speakers. Done!

14 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Not sure I understand. From the 310S manual:

"LSR310S POWERED STUDIO SUBWOOFER CONNECTIONS The left and right outputs of the signal source should be connected directly to the LEFT IN and RIGHT IN connectors of the subwoofer. The LEFT OUT and RIGHT OUT connectors of the subwoofer should be connected to the inputs of the left and right speakers respectively "

The "Signal Source" is your Helix. Why would you need a separate Audio Interface?

To jam along with YT, Spotify or any other streaming audio from the computer, set the computers audio output (Sound Panel/ Playback in Windows) to the Helix, and in Global Settings>Ins/Outs make sure that USB 1/2 Destination is set to whichever outputs (XLR or 1/4") you've got connected to your speakers. Done!

Thanks for the response. As I understand it that would meet my guitar and jam along needs but not allow the speakers to serve as an independent setup for my PC, right? 

If you NEED a subwoofer, I don't know if you'll find too many studio monitor options, as those usually require going source->sub->stereo speakers and there aren't too many subs with multiple inputs. Tannoy Reveal monitors have a 3.5mm audio input that works along with the XLR inputs so you can have your computer line out connected and have your Helix cables as well. I have the 502 pair and use the 3.5mm input for my bluetooth receiver, works great. I don't think you'd be able to integrate a sub with that setup though. 

1 minute ago, davy2266 said:

Thanks for the response. As I understand it that would meet my guitar and jam along needs but not allow the speakers to serve as an independent setup for my PC, right? 

Again, not sure I understand. If you mean that you'd have to have the Helix in the system, yes. But if that's an issue, just get a cheap mixer, set the computer's Playback to the computer's soundcard, take the computer's headphone out to the mixer along with the Helix outs and send the mixer outs to the speakers.

Here's the mixer I'd use:

https://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-6-channel-mixing-console-MG06/dp/B00I0Q8JNQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=8CY54XNNBSW5&dchild=1&keywords=yamaha+mixer+mg06x&qid=1586539580&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=yamaha+mixer%2Cmi%2C179&sr=1-5

In my "office" system, with my Stomp, I use a Sony 2x6x10 bookshelf system with a cheapo Behringer Xenyx502 mixer that I just happened to have laying around.

Sounds great!

If you're going with a full on studio monitor system, the Yamaha I linked is much higher quality than the Behringer, at basically the same price.

28 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Again, not sure I understand. If you mean that you'd have to have the Helix in the system, yes. But if that's an issue, just get a cheap mixer, set the computer's Playback to the computer's soundcard, take the computer's headphone out to the mixer along with the Helix outs and send the mixer outs to the speakers.

Here's the mixer I'd use:

https://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-6-channel-mixing-console-MG06/dp/B00I0Q8JNQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=8CY54XNNBSW5&dchild=1&keywords=yamaha+mixer+mg06x&qid=1586539580&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=yamaha+mixer%2Cmi%2C179&sr=1-5

In my "office" system, with my Stomp, I use a Sony 2x6x10 bookshelf system with a cheapo Behringer Xenyx502 mixer that I just happened to have laying around.

Sounds great!

If you're going with a full on studio monitor system, the Yamaha I linked is much higher quality than the Behringer, at basically the same price.

Thank you. I'll look into this option!