Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Output from headphones mismatches audio usb output

cho7

Hi folks, 

I'm trying to plug my TC Harmonics G-TX pedal into my HX stomp. For those who don't know this pedal, it's a pedal meant to be used with a microphone, and which enhance your voice by adding 1 or 2 additional voices at different pitches.

For this purpose, I removed every FX block from the chain of my preset to have the more neutral sound (as I discovered that enabling true bypass also disables USB output !) and while the sound is OK from the headphones (which are plugged in the HX stomp), it's awful once in GarageBand (basically, the harmony voices become like a weird cher-like auto-tune effect) 

I tried to play with the output settings (typically I tried to set "Line" instead of "Inst" everywhere I can) but same results : it's ok in head phones, not ok in the USB output result.

Although the HX Stomp is meant to be used with a guitar/bass, I assume that as an audio interface it should be able to manage anything ? Any hint ? 

Thanks ! 

Not sure exactly what's going on here, but I can say what comes out of the USB stream is going to match what you hear in headphones, so the problem is probably not the Stomp. Do you have monitoring turned off in Garageband? You need to. If you don't, you'll hear the hardware signal from Stomp, doubled with the monitored signal from Garageband, separated by a small delay. If you're singing and listening to that, it will sound phasey/chorusey/weird.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, qwerty42 said:

Not sure exactly what's going on here, but I can say what comes out of the USB stream is going to match what you hear in headphones, so the problem is probably not the Stomp. Do you have monitoring turned off in Garageband? You need to. If you don't, you'll hear the hardware signal from Stomp, doubled with the monitored signal from Garageband, separated by a small delay. If you're singing and listening to that, it will sound phasey/chorusey/weird.

Thanks for your answer !

I started a new project and ensured that "I want to hear my instrument while recording" is unchecked. And the new recording was OK. From there, the other project started to work as expected too, and  I tried to reproduce the issue by re-enabling audio feedback, but I was never able to do so: while I have experienced indeed the result you described when enabling audio feedback on garage band (chorusey voice), it was clearly different from what I have experienced when I wrote this thread.

Maybe it was just a random bug, I don't know. Anyway, and while I don't know why, thanks to you it works :-) so thanks !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cho7 said:

Maybe it was just a random bug, I don't know. Anyway, and while I don't know why, thanks to you it works :-) so thanks !

One other thing to be careful of is that Garageband (on iOS at least, not sure on Mac) has some recording options which have pitch correction applied by default. It has different presets for the mic input, and on some of them (one is called studio vocals or something like that) there is a pitch correction knob. If that's active on the input, you will definitely hear weird Cher vocals, lol. Do you beeliiiiieeeeve in life after looove