Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Computer specs for 8 tracks

trainguy

All,

Recently started using Pod Go with Cakewalk by Bandlab and I need to choose a new laptop.  For recordings with approximately 4 midi tracks and 4 audio tracks, can you suggest the laptop specs that will make this work well? So far I have had pretty good results for 2-3 audio track recordings up to about 1 minute long using Asus Core i5, 1.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, , and ASIO drivers but this PC is no longer available to me.  I have not used any plugins or Midi yet.

Can I drop to Core i3 with similar other specs?

All suggestions welcome...

tg

dropping to i3 is really not recommended! I would insted going up to i7! 8gb is minimum (I would go for more), the SSD is fine. plugins or VST instruments are pretty heavy, especially if you want to play with them in real time.

I was easily doing 16-track recording on a 0.1ghz CPU back in 1996. The bare requirements just to run Windows are far higher than what is needed to record audio and midi! So an i3 will run Windows dog slow but will still record plenty of audio tracks. Slower CPU may also require higher recording latency. This is not a problem if you are going to use the computer like a tape machine. It is a giant problem if you want to play the computer like a synthesizer or amp sim.