Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Block Bypass Toggle in Opposite Direction (MIDI)

hdoran

I'm using the new Helix 3.0 update on my HX stomp and my foot controller is the Behringer FCB 1010 for all MIDI control. I use the block bypass function often in my setup so with one FS on the foot controller I can toggle a certain tone on/off with a single button.

Just as an example, pretend I have a distortion pedal assigned to CC#100 and I toggle this on/off using FS 1. When I press FS 1 distortion goes on and when I press FS 1 again, it goes off. This is a regular setup as I do it now.

Now, what I'd like to do is control two different pedals with a single FS but in opposite directions. For example, assume that in addition to the distortion, I have a chorus pedal and I assign BOTH the chorus pedal and the distortion to CC#100. When I hit FS 1 the first time, I want for the distortion to be ON but the chorus to be OFF. When I hit the FS 1 the second time I want for the distortion to be OFF and then for the chorus to be ON.

I have successfully assigned both pedals to FS 1 and CC#100. But, when I press FS 1 both go ON and when I press again both go OFF.

Is there a way such that they wold alternate and toggle on/off in alternate ways as I describe here?

1 hour ago, hdoran said:

Is there a way such that they wold alternate and toggle on/off in alternate ways as I describe here?

HX Stomp Owner's Manual, page 59:

Block Bypass via MIDI

Incoming CC values 0-63 turn the block off; values 64-127 turn the block on.

The current behavior of bypass control via incoming MIDI is not the same as via Helix built in footswitches. As @lou-kash stated: 

3 hours ago, lou-kash said:

Block Bypass via MIDI

Incoming CC values 0-63 turn the block off; values 64-127 turn the block on.

I have submitted an IdeaScale post that suggests giving us more control over block behavior via incoming MIDI.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Incoming-MIDI-CC-Bypass-Assign-Min-Max-Value-or-Polarity/1001069-23508

Please upvote it. 

Thanks. 

If you have the UNO chip, this is simple.

Assign Block1=MIDI CC#111  (or whatever)

Assign Block2=MIDI CC#112  (or whatever)

CC1 (CNT1 in Behringer speak) CC#111, Value1=127, Value2=000

CC2 (CNT2) CC#112 V1=000, V2=127

Both values toggle the respective CC#s on each press

If you have the stock chip you need to use two presets.

Preset 001 CNT1 CC#=111 Value=127; CNT2 CC#=112 Value=000

Preset 002 CNT1 CC#=111 Value=000; CNT2 CC#=112 Vakue=127

The "toggling" method described in the FCB manual will only work to toggle one CC# at a time in a single preset.

The difference in terminology described above as "Behringer Speak" is what the controllers are called by Behringer vs UNO_ControlCenter, the best editor for both UNO and the stock chip.

UNO_ControlCenter costs about $22, but is worth every penny in time and brain cells saved.

https://www.fcb1010.uno/

• Like 1

@rd2rk thank you and others as well. I don't have the Uno chip and use only the stock chip. I'm running against the exact issue you note that the toggling method can only toggle one CC# at a time. I actually have this working exactly as you note with two different presets. The issue is that when I switch from preset 1 to preset 2 there is a *tiny* bit of latency.

So, I was thinking if I can keep all tones combined within one preset and simultaneously turn ON a bunch of tones and at the same time turn OFF others with a single button, I would avoid the latency and minimize the dancing I would have to do to turn things on and off.

1 hour ago, hdoran said:

the toggling method can only toggle one CC# at a time.

For toggling several blocks at once you may likely want to use the built in switches in the Stomp instead, and then use the MIDI controller for anything else.

Edited by lou-kash
bloCKs, not "blogs"…
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, lou-kash said:

For toggling several blogs at once you may likely want to use the built in switches in the Stomp instead, and then use the MIDI controller for anything else.

You're exactly right @lou-kash, and I was just logging in to share that. Here is what I have as an example just to illustrate.

Wah -> distortion -> amp/cab -> chorus -> delay -> volume

For illustration, say this is preset number 10 on the HX Stomp. On my behringer I use a PC command to access this preset. Now, on the stomp, I assign distortion and delay to footswitch 1 and then assign chorus and volume to footswitch 2.

So, now when I hit button 1 on the stomp, it turns ON both distortion and delay (and both chorus and volume are off) and then when I ht button 2 on the stomp, I get chorus and volume ON and the distortion and delay OFF.

This is exactly what I want. The downside is I need to dance on both the FCB to get the preset and then tap on the stomp to switch on/off the desired effects. All of this is done within the same preset so it avoids latency and is a very nice solution minus the dancing between the two devices.

I *think* it might be wise of me to figure out how to toggle a Snapshot from my behringer. I can see how I can save snapshot 1 to have distortion/delay on and snapshot 2 to have chorus/volume on. But, need to figure out how to toggle between two snapshots within a preset.

2 minutes ago, hdoran said:

figure out how to toggle a Snapshot from my behringer.

Stomp manual, page 60:

CC# 69

values 0, 1, 2, 8, 9

0=Snapshot 1, 1=Snapshot 2, 2=Snapshot 3, 8=Next snapshot, 9=Previous snapshot

For what it's worth, I'm using Disaster Area DMC.micro with my Stomp: CC# 69, values 8 & 9. That means – since the DMC.micro has just two footswitches and is thus extremely compact, which is why I bought it – I can toggle snapshots up and down, i.e. with just two switches I have a one-click access to all three snapshots.

• Like 1

Actually I got IT! Snapshots are the way to go for this. Here is what you can do for anyone following or interested.

Create a preset and recall that preset from your FCB. Now, on the stomp turn some pedals/tones ON and save them under snapshot 1 (leave the ones you want off turned off under this snapshot). Now, go to snapshot 2 and turn the pedals under snapshot 1 OFF and turn the others ON.

Now, on the behringer, use the toggle on/off functionality to send a CC command associated with the snapshot (see page 59 of owners manual). For example, mine has a CC of 69:000 for snapshot 1 and 69:001 for snapshot 2. So, you can use the toggle on/off to send CC 69 with value of 00 on the first press and then 69 with value of 01 on the second press. It does exactly what I need and I have complete control from the FCB without having to tap dance on two different boards.

Hope this helps others!

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4112bbf5fb6a519e8b18/application/pdf/HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev C - English .pdf

• Upvote 1