Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Singular Sound Beatbuddy

hallissyc

Ok - this may be a super simple answer, but was wondering if (1) anyone is using a beat buddy with their helix and (2) how to connect the beat buddy to the helix. 

I am playing into my helix, xlr out into my Powercab 112+. So I gather I need to place the beat buddy into the send/return blocks, but I don't know where to even begin with this process. 

Can anyone help?

ok for starters, try connecting the helix to the powercab plus, from the l6 link out - to the l6 link in. so u can control the powercab from the helix itself.

u want to create a send return or fx loop block at the end of your chain in the helix. connect a cable from the send 1 (or whatever u chose) on the helix, then to the in on the beatbuddy. then out on the beatbuddy to the return 1 of the helix. if the beatbuddy has midi, then u can control everything from the helix. midi in to midi out and so forth

I use a Beat Buddy now in every performance each week along with my Helix.  The difference is I use the Helix to control the Beat Buddy and send the Beat Buddy signal direct to the mixing board on it's own separate line using the L/Mono 1/4" out. 

In your case, if you're wanting the Beat Buddy to go through the Helix to the PowerCab all you would need to do is have a MIDI cable from the Helix going from MIDI Out to the MIDI in on the Beat Buddy (if you want tight integration with the Helix), and one return block for the 1/4" L/Mono out (or use both outs to a dual stereo return) from the Beat Buddy probably located at the very end of the signal chain so it comes in after all the amp and effects blocks and is just mixed with the finished guitar signal.

For tight MIDI integration between the two you'll need to order the special MIDI cable for the Beat Buddy input which converts a traditional MDI to a PS1 style MIDI which can be purchased from Singular Sound.  So you'll need a one traditional MIDI cable (MIDI out from the Helix) and one special MIDI converter cable for the Beat Buddy.  You can easily program the Helix to control pretty much all aspect of the Beat Buddy and the MIDI cvommsnfd are documented at the following link: https://singularsound.com/downloadable/BeatBuddy-MIDISettings-Firmware-v1.77.pdf

My process is relatively simple.  I have a separate Beat Buddy project specific to each preset and I use the Beat Buddy Manager to create the beats for each preset and save that project to the SD card I plug into the Beat Buddy.  In the Helix Command Center I create an instantaneous command which sends the Program Change to the Beat Buddy to select the specific drum song that matches the preset when I move to that preset.  From there it's simply a matter of using the command center to define and assign the CC commands on the Helix for starting, ending, playing fills, etc. on the Beat Buddy.

That's a very tight integration between the Beat Buddy and the Helix for live performances.  You can, of course, do it all manually on the Beat Buddy  if you prefer to avoid the MIDI stuff.

There is a new Firmware 3.9.0 for our BeatBuddys! BeatBuddy Firmware 3.9.0 “MIDI Optimizations and Bug Exterminations”

I'm using mine with the BeatBuddy MIDI Sync cable and a Yamaha MD-BT01 or a CME WIDI Master.

And don't miss my MIDI Layout made with MIDI Designer Pro: https://gumroad.com/l/MBqkH

It will be updated soon for the new firmware, if needed.

50345964992_5a49603319_o.jpg

50345964952_8f97794826_o.png