Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Audio Interface with Reaper causes Blue Screen on Helix shutdown

Barbarisch

I have noticed that when using Helix as audio interface with Reaper that if I shut off the Helix while Reaper is still running, that the computer goes to a blue screen, and says something about a fatal error and starts gathering info to send to Microsoft. Then the computer does a complete restart. I haven't tried shutting down Reaper first but it's still odd behavior. Anyone else experience this?

It's a Windows 10 computer. The only other thing that could be mixed up in this is the fact that I have two sets of speakers. One set is XLR from the Helix and the other set is computer speakers from the RCA jack on back of PC. So there are Realtek drivers for the computer speakers and Helix drivers for the Focal monitors. 

One other thing here that might help some users with a different issue. I noticed loud crack or pop sounds from my new Focal monitors that almost scared me out of my chair the first few times. I thought I might damage the monitors. Turns out that Realtek standard driver appears to have a power down function to save power if the speaker is not used for a period of time. This also happened on my computer monitors but less noticeable. If you don't use any audio for about 3-5 minutes power is cut and then re-ingaged when you start a video or start playiing.....So through Dell I found that there is a high definition driver from Realtek that doesn't have this problem plus he installed Max Audio Pro to manage the audio connections which may or may not help. I have also disabled power saving on USB ports as an after thought because sometimes when I walk away from the computer for longer periods and come back to Reaper and Helix, the connection is broken and HX EDit doesn't work nor does Reaper if I remember correctly. I also think that Microsoft updates can screw up the driver configuration I have now...so watch for that....if needed.

Are you certain all of your computer's drivers are up to date? I'd start there. Depending on vendor they usually have a handy tool that will check that for you. Dell has Command Update as an example.

Update the OS and all of your drivers if possible.