Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Separate outs for "elec" & "Acoustic" patches?

tekhed

Hello all - 

I typically run both my electric and acoustic guitars into my HX Stomp, then into a FR/FR monitor onstage. Both elec and acoustic guitars end up on the same pair of channels at FOH & monitor mixes. 

This weekend I've got a gig with a sound man that insists he gets my electric and acoustic on different channels. He doesn't care if my elec is stereo (I don't really either) but when I switch to acoustic it needs to be a different line than my HX.

If I went into my acoustic patches and inserted an FX send or "Split Y" block would there be a way to automate this? Electric patches go out Stomp's main outs and Acoustic patches go out the FX Send (only, no signal in the main outs on acoustic patches)?

Does this make sense?

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, tekhed said:

This weekend I've got a gig with a sound man that insists he gets my electric and acoustic on different channels.

I won't go into details, but he wouldn't last long around me... and I am also a sound tech, not just a musician.  Techs are suppose to accommodate the musician, not the other way around.  If he has problems with your presets (through one channel) then he should talk to you about the problems during/after sound check, not insist on them before hand. 

1 hour ago, tekhed said:

If I went into my acoustic patches and inserted an FX send or "Split Y" block would there be a way to automate this? Electric patches go out Stomp's main outs and Acoustic patches go out the FX Send (only, no signal in the main outs on acoustic patches)?

Simple! Just insert a send block prior to the output on acoustic presets only. Set the SEND MIX so nothing goes to the main outs. Connect the send to a DI and "Cross your fingers" the tech unmutes the acoustic in time when needed  :)  He won't mute the electric channel, but he WILL mute the acoustic channel out of habit!   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You guys are killing me. So funny. I feel the exact same way; "Shut up and do your job". But... This isn't the hill I'm going to die on.

MGW - That was an omission. I do run my rig in stereo. Sorry for not including that.

Thanks to all for the input. I'm going to check into this right now. I'll figure it out and report back here, in case some other hapless soul encounters their own Larry The Ludite.

Thanks all...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tekhed said:

But... This isn't the hill I'm going to die on.

Yeah... I would never die on that hill either. I do go to battle on occasion but always in a very respectful manner. If they don't budge, I just take note of it. 

There are times I still bring a traditional setup (amp and pedal board) just to avoid the confrontation with grumpy techs. Locally I know who they are.. and although I won't bad mouth anyone, they would never be on my call list or my recommendation list. 

19 hours ago, tekhed said:

Hello all - 

I typically run both my electric and acoustic guitars into my HX Stomp, then into a FR/FR monitor onstage. Both elec and acoustic guitars end up on the same pair of channels at FOH & monitor mixes. 

This weekend I've got a gig with a sound man that insists he gets my electric and acoustic on different channels. He doesn't care if my elec is stereo (I don't really either) but when I switch to acoustic it needs to be a different line than my HX.

If I went into my acoustic patches and inserted an FX send or "Split Y" block would there be a way to automate this? Electric patches go out Stomp's main outs and Acoustic patches go out the FX Send (only, no signal in the main outs on acoustic patches)?

Does this make sense?

Many thanks.

Previous post deleted.

I had concocted a grandiose but flawed scheme.

Some days are just like that.