Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit tap tempo way too many values, makes no sense to me

blackSP

Hi, I have a Stomp XL  and I'm discovering the last function I have not used, tap tempo.

I use HX Edit to make all my presets and I noticed that if I click on the number, top right screen, it changes the tempo value but there seems to be an strange large number of values  there, including double ones and strange sequences like 46 - 46.2 - 46.3 - etc. Is there a way to reset all of those or somehow clean that up? Cause If I tap on the somp now I need tons of clicks to find a useful value.

40 minutes ago, blackSP said:

Hi, I have a Stomp XL  and I'm discovering the last function I have not used, tap tempo.

I use HX Edit to make all my presets and I noticed that if I click on the number, top right screen, it changes the tempo value but there seems to be an strange large number of values  there, including double ones and strange sequences like 46 - 46.2 - 46.3 - etc. Is there a way to reset all of those or somehow clean that up? Cause If I tap on the somp now I need tons of clicks to find a useful value.

Not really sure what you're driving at... you can set the tempo to anything you want, either by dialing it in via HX Edit, or tapping it in manually. And yes... unless you're a human metronome, there will be some variations in the numbers doing it on the fly with your foot. If it's the decimals that are bothering you, don't lose any sleep over it... if a song's tempo is 90 bpm and you're dialed in at 90.2, it's fine...you'll never notice a 2 tenths of a second difference.

• Upvote 1

What I mean is that if I click on the number on the right top of the screen (let's say that is 20) I have to click maybe a hundred times before I'm back where I started, 20. Maybe I'm missing something but if I tap the tap  (8th) switch on the XL I also have to tap that switch 100 times before I'm back at 20.

So my point is, if I want to tap from 20 to let's say 100 there's some 50 numbers in between.

So what am I missing here?

20 hours ago, blackSP said:

What I mean is that if I click on the number on the right top of the screen (let's say that is 20) I have to click maybe a hundred times before I'm back where I started, 20. Maybe I'm missing something but if I tap the tap  (8th) switch on the XL I also have to tap that switch 100 times before I'm back at 20.

So my point is, if I want to tap from 20 to let's say 100 there's some 50 numbers in between.

So what am I missing here?

I suspect that you may not understand what this function is for, or how it works. It's a quick way to adjust settings for time-based effects (delays, etc) when either playing along with a recording at any given tempo, or playing live with a drummer. All the tap tempo function does is measure the time between clicks of the footswitch, and display it. You're not scrolling through a bunch of preset values... it's simply displaying the tempo you've provided.

Likewise, if you're in HX Edit, it's measuring the time between mouse-clicks when you place the cursor over the tempo value in the upper right corner.

Whichever method you choose, if you click twice at an interval of 70 bpm, then that's what will be displayed. If you click it 100 times, it will continually update and display the average tempo from the input it's receiving. And yes, the more you click, you can expect the number to vary slightly...unless you possess android-like precision. Assuming that you've got any rhythm at all though, if you continue to click it'll eventually settle in at a relatively constant rate. However, if your timing is all over the map, and you constantly vary your tapping speed,  then the number you see displayed will likewise be jumping all over the place, and the only way you'll get what you want is by chance. If you require 70 bpm and can't manage to tap at that speed consistently, then you have two options:

1) Highlight the tempo value in HX Edit, and type in the number you want,  or

2) Dial it in with the knob on the device itself. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1