Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to adjust bass/mid/hi's on patches?

moreaupj

I am pretty conversant in adjustments on Helix, but a lot of the patches I have just sound thinner than I would like, specifically too much treble/hi, not enough mid/bass etc. I actually am not sure the best way to make that happen - use an EQ, or??? I welcome your suggestions and thank you!! Paul

There's EQ adjustments everywhere in the Helix signal chain, from your first OD to Global EQ at the end.

You might want to take a deep dive into EQ usage by reading some of the hundreds (thousands?) of articles on the subject that are available on the internet.

• Like 1

There are more ways to adjust these things than room in this forum to list them.

In short as far as what the Helix controls, your amp EQ controls are your first level immediately followed by your choice in cabinets, mics and mic placements.  Of course before that comes your settings on your guitar such as which pickups are being used and your volume and tone controls.  90% of your tone depends on those settings, and you have ample other EQ blocks to make any final tweaks.  But if you don't have those first level EQ components correct, you can play all day with other EQ pieces and never get it right.

I can only tell you that after setting up the guitar and amp/cab/ selection I'm not satisfied with the tone I'll first go back and audition different cab and mic setups till I find something I like better.  From there it's just a matter of making some very minor tweaks with a parametric EQ at the end of the signal chain, or in some cases a low/high shelf block following the cabinet to adjust the levels between overall highs and lows.  Most of this kind of stuff is covered very completely in Jason Sadites YouTube videos which I'd suggest you spend some time with to get a feel for how to set them up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/8/2021 at 1:44 PM, DunedinDragon said:

There are more ways to adjust these things than room in this forum to list them.

In short as far as what the Helix controls, your amp EQ controls are your first level immediately followed by your choice in cabinets, mics and mic placements.  Of course before that comes your settings on your guitar such as which pickups are being used and your volume and tone controls.  90% of your tone depends on those settings, and you have ample other EQ blocks to make any final tweaks.  But if you don't have those first level EQ components correct, you can play all day with other EQ pieces and never get it right.

I can only tell you that after setting up the guitar and amp/cab/ selection I'm not satisfied with the tone I'll first go back and audition different cab and mic setups till I find something I like better.  From there it's just a matter of making some very minor tweaks with a parametric EQ at the end of the signal chain, or in some cases a low/high shelf block following the cabinet to adjust the levels between overall highs and lows.  Most of this kind of stuff is covered very completely in Jason Sadites YouTube videos which I'd suggest you spend some time with to get a feel for how to set them up.

thank you - sorry for late reply