Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Controlling powercab 112+ from Helix LT

Guus7181

First of all let me just send a big shout out to this great forum. Cant believe how helpful it’s been for a helix newbie. 

here’s my question (of the day *laughing*): I’ve setup a link from helix to powercab (Line6 Link) and I am now trying to figure out how to control the PC in the best possible way through the Helix alone? The idea is to utilise the many speaker models in the PC and only use amps in the Helix (as opposed to combos or amp+cab setups in the Helix). I’ve made it so far as to make the speaker type change according to the preset. I can even see the colour of the light on the PC Change. But the text in the display on the PC doesn’t change a bit. And it seems like alterations made to mic-type and distance doesn’t really affect the sound either. I’ve seen videos on YT where the text clearly changes on the PC from preset to preset. What am I doing wrong? (Everything is fully updated). 

also: I’m super confused about the supposedly many ways of controlling the PC. Some control through MIDI. Some use Link over XLR/DMX. Some setup PC controls through the menu in each output block. And some use the “control center”. What’s the difference? 

thanks again for putting up with these newbie questions. Help is greatly appreciated. 

bR Gustav 

Via L6 Link:

• yes the model changes
  • yes you can prgramatically change the colour
  • no the text doesn't change (I have no idea if you can with midi) as you are not moving between PC+ presets, but changing the same one nondestrcutively (the settings are saved in the Helix patch, NOT on the PC+) - tbh that has never bothered me as I can hear the change
  • mic type and distance affect the XLR output from the PC+ only not the sound you hear in the room - the speaker models are modelled "in the room" and you are applying a modelled mic within the cab to be picked up by the XLR so you don't need  to physically mic the cab (hopefully that makes sense)
  • I can't explain all the ways it can be controlled, I've only ever used L6 Link as it worked for me and controlled all the parameters I wanted at a per snapshot level for each patch if required
  • Despite having used custom changes for my 2xPC+ for quite a while, I reverted to FRFR for ease of use, workflow, and sound consistency - I deliberately reduced complexity 
  • Upvote 1

To what @waymda said I'll only add/clarify that the only time the text on the PC display changes is when you're using PC+ Presets. You'd need to add a MIDI cable between Helix and PC+ and use CommandCenter to send the proper Program Change messages to change PC+ Presets from Helix, and in your Helix Presets disable Remote. Since that's a Global Setting made in the Preset (NOT the normal Global Settings), it's either/or.

9 hours ago, Guus7181 said:

First of all let me just send a big shout out to this great forum. Cant believe how helpful it’s been for a helix newbie. 

here’s my question (of the day *laughing*): I’ve setup a link from helix to powercab (Line6 Link) and I am now trying to figure out how to control the PC in the best possible way through the Helix alone? The idea is to utilise the many speaker models in the PC and only use amps in the Helix (as opposed to combos or amp+cab setups in the Helix). I’ve made it so far as to make the speaker type change according to the preset. I can even see the colour of the light on the PC Change. But the text in the display on the PC doesn’t change a bit. And it seems like alterations made to mic-type and distance doesn’t really affect the sound either. I’ve seen videos on YT where the text clearly changes on the PC from preset to preset. What am I doing wrong? (Everything is fully updated). 

also: I’m super confused about the supposedly many ways of controlling the PC. Some control through MIDI. Some use Link over XLR/DMX. Some setup PC controls through the menu in each output block. And some use the “control center”. What’s the difference? 

thanks again for putting up with these newbie questions. Help is greatly appreciated. 

bR Gustav 

8 hours ago, waymda said:

Via L6 Link:

• I can't explain all the ways it can be controlled, I've only ever used L6 Link as it worked for me and controlled all the parameters I wanted at a per snapshot level for each patch if required

You probably will not have to use the Command Center to control the Powercab+ unless you decide to connect via MIDI. Use the L6 Link instead! You can always assign Powercab parameters to snapshots for more granular control.

For a simple and powerful setup using the Powercab+''s onboard speaker models(your stated objective) I would use do the following:

1. Connect your Helix and PC+ via L6 Link.
  2. Select any blank preset on the PC+. This will be your "workbench" preset and all your Helix presets/snapshots will use it. 
  3. Go to the Output block on your Helix preset and page over to the second page in the parameters. Set 'Powercab Remote' = "Per Preset" and 'Powercab Mode' = "Speaker".
  4. Select your preferred speaker and mic type & mic distance in the 'Speaker 1+2 Type', 'Speaker 1+2 DI mic', and 'Speaker 1+2 Mic Dist' parameters. Note: The 'Speaker 1+2 Mic Dist' parameter is on the third page of parameters. There are other parameters you can set such as the low and high cut but those mentioned are probably the most pertinent.
  5. Optional: If you want to change your speaker, mic & distance between snapshots, as waymda referred to, you can assign the 'Speaker...' parameters(mentioned in step #4 above) to snapshots either from HX Edit, or directly on the Helix using the usual method of pressing and turning the parameter's control knob(snapshot assign). Then just select the values you prefer for those parameters as needed for each snapshot.

Note: You may want to at least experiment with trying the Powercab+'s FRFR modes or even loading it with some IRs as well, and determine whether you prefer the speaker models, IRs, or FRFR mode on the PC+, or the modeled cabs or IRs run from the Helix.