Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Overdrive recommendation

sdahe

Hello.. so I've been using the HX Stomp direct to the PA for a few gigs now and I can't find a nice overdrive pedal that sounds good in high gain situations.

This is what Im using right now in my blocks. 

Amp+Cab Block is the Cali IV Rhythm 1

This is my clean signal

First Overdrive is the Minotaur

This I use in low gain to have the break up sound in front of the clean. Gain at 6, Tone 5.5 and Level 5.5

Second Overdrive is the Dhyana Drive

This one Im using it as the 80's style overdrive but Im not happy with it. Gain 9, Voice 8, Tone 6 and Level 2.5.  It doesn't sound good to my ears. It feels that it needs more body of head room. Sounds a bit harsh.

My other blocks are just delay and reverb. 

So what Im looking for is for a nice clean amp for my regular clean rhythm stuff.. a nice low overdrive for blues and some country songs.. and a nice overdrive sound for 80's and 90's stuff. 

Any recommendations will help a lot... thanks.

Hi Sdahe

Can you tell us any examples of this that you like? With the information above it is hard to really help. What sounds great to one person sounds meh to another - that's why there are so many amps and pedals to choose from.

If there is a certain song that gets you in the ballpark  (ideally link to a YouTube clip or similar), folks here will come in with suggestions.

There are so many amps and pedals in the Helix that there's not much it can't do.

On 12/27/2021 at 11:25 AM, sdahe said:

First Overdrive is the Minotaur

This I use in low gain to have the break up sound in front of the clean. Gain at 6, Tone 5.5 and Level 5.5

Second Overdrive is the Dhyana Drive

This one Im using it as the 80's style overdrive but Im not happy with it. Gain 9, Voice 8, Tone 6 and Level 2.5.  It doesn't sound good to my ears. It feels that it needs more body of head room. Sounds a bit harsh.

That Im looking for is for a nice clean amp for my regular clean rhythm stuff.. a nice low overdrive for blues and some country songs.. and a nice overdrive sound for 80's and 90's stuff. 

Any recommendations will help a lot... thanks.

Sound like you may be using too much gain, especially for Dhyana Drive. Voice controls the mid boost frequency - higher levels are going to provide more gain and harsher midrange. Try turning both Gain and Voice down. A good practice is to use the minimum drive/gain for the song. You can approach that from either low gain or high gain to and turn up or down to figure out what's needed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...