Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Amp - Switching between Clean and Dirty channel possible

stevenfernandez

Hi all,

I just got an HX Stomp and I'm playing around with it.

Sounding great btw :)

I'm using snapshot and an amp which has a clean version and a dirty version.

I was to have the clean channel of it on switch 1 and the dirty version of it on switch 2 and 3 but for some reason I can't unless I use 2 blocks for the amps.

If it's the same amp why can't I switch from the clean channel to the dirty channel of the amp with one amp block?

I don't have enough DSP to have the Clean and the Dirty version of the amp.

Can I not switch amp channels with snapshots? It's the same amp...why 2 blocks for the same amp to switch between clean and dirty?

Anyone have any advise on how to do this? Can it be done?

Thanks

Steven

Line6 chooses to implement dual channel amps as separate amps. That's just the way it is.

You can deal with it the traditional way - clean amp with overdrive/distortion pedals.

You can also try using the dirty amp with lower gain settings, using Snapshots to increase the gain as necessary.

That works better on mid-gain amps than high-gain amps, but you don't get squeaky-clean and chimey either way.

Or you can upgrade to a full-fat Helix for the added DSP.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your post rd2rk.

I already have an Axe FX (FM3), so I don't need to upgrade if I wanted the power as the FM3 can do anything I need it to BUT I love the size (being able to fit it in my guitar case is a BIG plus!) and sound on the HX Stomp so I was hoping to be able to have the minimum I wanted ... Switch 1: Amp clean. channel, Chorus, delay and Reverb .... Switch 2: Tube Screamer, Amp Crunch and reverb and Switch 3: Tube Screamer, Amp Lead, dual delay and reverb.

For the clean, I need proper clean, so I think I might have to forget the snapshots and change presets.

Pity, that you can't have 1 amp and change from clean to dirty :(

Cheers!

9 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Line6 chooses to implement dual channel amps as separate amps. That's just the way it is.

You can deal with it the traditional way - clean amp with overdrive/distortion pedals.

You can also try using the dirty amp with lower gain settings, using Snapshots to increase the gain as necessary.

That works better on mid-gain amps than high-gain amps, but you don't get squeaky-clean and chimey either way.

Or you can upgrade to a full-fat Helix for the added DSP.

That's really disappointing.

6 hours ago, coachz said:

That's just the shortcoming of not having enough dsp

Of course.

There should be enough DSP to load EVERYTHING all at once. Then we'd only ever need ONE preset. Just have 100 pages of Footswitch configurations to control it all.

SIMPLE!

How short-sighted of L6 not to have included enough DSP to do that!

Yes, I'm being snarky.

My point is that at any given time, an affordable piece of hardware will have technological limitations that the program designers have to work around.

I read somewhere that at the time of the first Lunar Landing, the total computing power available to NASA was less than that of a 286.

I'm sure that the system designers working on the inevitable Mars Landing could look at the choices made by the Lunar Landing folks and say "That's just the shortcoming of not having enough computational power".

And they'd be right!

• Haha 2