Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Switching to Clean

lespool79

To save myself pain, I am trying to work with the factory presets and then make minimal adjustments.  

When we play Sweet Child o mine for example, the Archetype Lead preset seems pretty right on to me.  Some small adjustments to the screamer and its right in my tone range that I enjoy.  However, I'm trying to use snapshots for the clean channel verse.   I tried initially to use a snapshot to drop the gain but the amp is just too dirty.  Then I saw Archetype clean and it sounded great.  The problem is that I can't seem to use a snapshot to change amps.  I assume that's not possible?  

How do I set this up where I have the snapshot switching to a clean amp and then when its solo time right back to the gain driven dirty amp?

18 minutes ago, lespool79 said:

The problem is that I can't seem to use a snapshot to change amps.  I assume that's not possible?

Correct...

The solution is to load two amps in the preset... and then use snapshots to turn one off while turning the other one on.  Of course... this only works if you have enough DSP to load two amps.

To save a little DSP space.... your amps can be "Full Amp" models instead of "Amp/Cab" models... then just load the cabinet separately and leave it on all the time. 

• Upvote 1

I've played this preset multiple times with various approaches to the sounds Slash uses.   

I've used the Placatar Dirty mostly, but more recently had a bank of sounds for my band built on the SLO amps.  This one I used the SLO OD.  To help, get a viable clean sound, if you have the dsp available....

1) Drop the gain to where you start to get 'cleanish' but still have some life to your picking.  Some amps really get lifeless or react weird when the gain parameter gets too low.  

2) Add a volume block earlier in the chain, I put it first, and set it to about 20% as a starting point.  You can manipulate the settings between the volume block and the gain parameter on the amp to help get a biting type clean that works well.  Especially if you switch to the neck/middle type pickup positions.  I think I usually end up around 2-3 on the amp gain and around 10-20% on the volume block.  I also play with the Hetfield EMG's so reducing gain ahead of the amp is a must for me in this situation, and thus the lower % on the volume block.  If you are using passives with lower outputs, then you might be higher maybe 30-40%.  This part of the chain to me is the key to getting a nice cleanish sound for this song out of a dirtier amp.  Also, when you build snapshots, you can either just turn off the block, or set the volume % to varying %'s to get tones.  

3) You may want to add a compressor to help get some pick attack and sparkle to your 'clean' sound with the above setting.  Again if DSP allows, Deluxe Comp is great, attack 10ms, release 50ms, 2:1 ratio, threshold where its only hitting the harder attacks, and mix at 80%.  Set your makeup gain so that its unity, for me that seems to be around 4.5db, not the 7db it defaults to.  

4) Add the dimension chorus post amp before the cab, again if dsp allows.  I like the Dimension, switch 1 on, the rest off.  Mix parameter to around 30%.

This gets me close enough for my current band.  Settings may vary, as I'm bored at work and going off memory.