Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

“Realistic ballistic” for parameter knobs

pomor

Dear Helix developers, it would be great to have, possibly as a configurable option, a “realistic ballistic” mode for parameter knobs, meaning, any parameter knob being able to change the corresponding parameter from its min to max value just in a 3/4 of a physical turn, just like a real potentiometer. In this mode, fine adjustments could be implemented via a simultaneously pressed modifier button. Currently, it is, unfortunately, a PITA to quickly adjust params, compared to a real amp or an effect device. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

On 3/11/2022 at 8:35 AM, pomor said:

Dear Helix developers, it would be great to have, possibly as a configurable option, a “realistic ballistic” mode for parameter knobs, meaning, any parameter knob being able to change the corresponding parameter from its min to max value just in a 3/4 of a physical turn, just like a real potentiometer. In this mode, fine adjustments could be implemented via a simultaneously pressed modifier button. Currently, it is, unfortunately, a PITA to quickly adjust params, compared to a real amp or an effect device. Thank you.

You need to post this in http://line6.ideascale.com/. No devs here reading your wishes. :)

Said that, I agree with you. There are long params, like delay times, where you need an entire minute to move from min to max. Ridiculous...

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 7:35 AM, pomor said:

Hmm… Well it appears that the “Helix developers” have already addressed this issue, to some extent.

From the v3.15 Firmware Release Notes:

• Encoder ballistics have been improved. For parameters with hundreds of values, you can now go from Min to Max in a couple of turns

If you would like the developers to revisit the encoder ballistics, you really need to follow the advice given by “PierM”, in the post above.

You need to post this in http://line6.ideascale.com/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 12:25 PM, datacommando said:

Hmm… Well it appears that the “Helix developers” have already addressed this issue, to some extent.

From the v3.15 Firmware Release Notes:

• Encoder ballistics have been improved. For parameters with hundreds of values, you can now go from Min to Max in a couple of turns

If you would like the developers to revisit the encoder ballistics, you really need to follow the advice given by “PierM”, in the post above.

You need to post this in http://line6.ideascale.com/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Doh! I didn't see this, I need to check this out! 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 11:36 AM, PierM said:

I need to check this out!

It has been a much requested modification to the way the knobs function.

It is almost hidden in and among the “Other Changes and Improvements” section of bullet points.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 12:45 PM, datacommando said:

It has been a much requested modification to the way the knobs function.

It is almost hidden in and among the “Other Changes and Improvements” section of bullet points.

Just tried. They did something, but not what OP is asking, like just one single ~180° knob rotation to go from min to max. I'm not even sure it's an option with these kind of rotary encoder resolution.

Anyway, now if you manage to make a very wide and fast spinning to the knob encoders, you get a very wide value change, so if you do a bunch of those slides you can go from min to max much quicker than before. I does help a lot with those long params like Delay and Reverb time. :)

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your comments. I do have the latest FW 3.15 and I did see the mention of improved knobs ballistic in the release notes, however it is still far from ideal. For me, the current algorithm based on the speed of rotating the knobs is rather erratic - a few times it works ok, next time it doesn't and sometimes a param jumps straight to its min or max value. It seems to work somewhat better for wide range parameters like delay times, but seems worse for the plain old 1-10 knobs. @PierM - very good point regarding limited encoders' resolution - this morning I realized it too that a simple straight min to max adjustment per single turn alone will be too coarse for, actually, most of the params. I have a couple of thoughts on possible further improvements though, I'll try and post something on ideascale.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1