Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pick up swap

In another thread I spoke about getting the blue JTV-59US, but this is a different question.

I really like the sound of the P-90s but I cannot handle the buzz.  I am considering replacing the P 90s. Dimarzio is giving me a set of the Fantoms to try. I can't do the swap, but is it just a normal pickup swap for a guitar tech?

1) Have to use pick-ups with a DC resistance (DCR) spec of between 6k Ohms and 8k Ohms.

It needs to be matched to the active circuitry or the EQ tone won't sound right.

2) Follow the wiring diagram for 59's that is in the Knowledge Base here.

3) Chances are the buzz is from the set-up, it probably needs to be dialed-in just a smidgen.

So I checked with the dimarzio folks about using the Fantoms and he had this question about being higher than 6k-8k 0hms

The Fantom is higher, however, I’m not sure why they would speck a DC resistance. Aren’t they using the output for conversion to all the synth sounds? 

Not sure what you mean by using workbench. I use it on the models for sure. My complaint is why do I need a pair of noisy P90s when the models of the P90 guitars are pretty close. It would be nice for me to be able to use the magnetics without the hum and some mini's or quiet hum cancelling P90s would probably make the guitar a better fit for me if I can find a way to do it....

Looking over their specs, like other pick-up makers,... it's assumed it's going into a normal guitar with passive electronics.

Variax system is active electronics, and requires passive pick-ups to have a certain DCR range or it won't match to the rest

of the circuit, an that will change the tone EQ.

As for noise,... one also has to consider the sources, such as lights or nearby appliances. I have a Gibson with stock p90's,

never had a problem. Serviced JTV-59P's (with P90's), noise is only a problem when I face florescent lighting here.

• 1 month later...

Noise is always an issue for me whether it is a strat, tele, or P90 pup. I have guitars with single coils and love them but in certain venues they can be ridiculous. My guitars are all properly shielded and all. I am ok as long as I am turned just right. Even in a well wired studio it will be there, but again, sitting just right is the key.Has anyone put a mini humbucker in one of these JTV 59s with the P90s? According to psarkassian the DCR range on a couple of the Dimarzio minis will work. Will I need some kind of adaptive pickup ring or something to make them fit?

rick